Last page of threads have "unclickable" pages thereafter - Page 6 - Talk About Marriage
Technical Difficulties? If you are having problems using the site, this is the place to post.

User Tag List

 57Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #76 of 110 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 05:19 PM
Member
 
EllisRedding's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Valhalla (Or the Northeast USA)
Posts: 6,373
Re: Last page of threads have "unclickable" pages thereafter

New MEME thread:

http://talkaboutmarriage.com/social-...0-extreme.html
@TheGoodGuy @MrsAldi

EllisRedding is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #77 of 110 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 04:36 PM
Administrator
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 584
Re: Last page of threads have "unclickable" pages thereafter

Hey,

I found that if you clear the cache and cookies on your browser it will stop sticking on that page since the rebuild was done by Kyle.

~Sheeena
Yungster is offline  
post #78 of 110 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 10:18 PM
Forum Supporter
 
3putt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Myrtle Beach
Posts: 3,763
Re: Last page of threads have "unclickable" pages thereafter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yungster View Post
Hey,

I found that if you clear the cache and cookies on your browser it will stop sticking on that page since the rebuild was done by Kyle.

~Sheeena
Seriously?? Is that the only answer you guys have for all the problems on this site? The problem isn't our cookies and cache. It's your team's lack of tech know-how. That's seriously the bottom line.

Let's get real here: if we're all experiencing these same issues in some form or fashion over and over, then the problem isn't on our end. It's on yours.

At least be honest about it and admit you don't know how to fix it. I can respect that. But passing the buck onto us?........ I'll never respect that.

Sheeze

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. -Mark Twain

For the lips of an adulteress drip honey and smoother than oil is her speech. -Proverbs 5:3
3putt is offline  
 
post #79 of 110 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 01:57 AM
Forum Supporter
 
Hope Shimmers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: US
Posts: 456
Re: Last page of threads have "unclickable" pages thereafter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3putt View Post
Seriously?? Is that the only answer you guys have for all the problems on this site? The problem isn't our cookies and cache. It's your team's lack of tech know-how. That's seriously the bottom line.

Let's get real here: if we're all experiencing these same issues in some form or fashion over and over, then the problem isn't on our end. It's on yours.

At least be honest about it and admit you don't know how to fix it. I can respect that. But passing the buck onto us?........ I'll never respect that.

Sheeze
Who the F are you, exactly, to tell the administrators what to do and how to do it?

You may be a supporting member (so am I), but you have no idea how much $ it actually takes to run this place. Server fees, etc.

I run this software on a similar forum that I administrate and own. I will tell you this: the problem is NOT on the admins end. It's on the software end, and the admins and owners can't fix a problem inherent to the software. All they can do is give advice on how to circumvent or lessen the issues, which is what is being done.

I really hate that attitude from people who just don't get it, but expect perfection and won't appreciate anyone else trying to fix a problem that isn't theirs to begin with. The problem is not the team's lack of "tech know-how", which you would get if you read the thousands of hours that I have about this particular software. So stop your accusations and your lack of respect of something you clearly know nothing about.

This forum is provided as a SERVICE. The fact that it's here at all is because dedicated people invested huge amounts of time and ongoing money to keep it going. Appreciate that and stop feeling like you are entitled to anything.

Don't let people become a priority in your life when you're just an option in theirs.
Hope Shimmers is offline  
post #80 of 110 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 02:43 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 123
Re: Last page of threads have "unclickable" pages thereafter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yungster View Post
Hey,



I found that if you clear the cache and cookies on your browser it will stop sticking on that page since the rebuild was done by Kyle.



~Sheeena


I'm using the tapatalk app, and I'm having issues with it there.
chatabox is offline  
post #81 of 110 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 08:40 AM
Forum Supporter
 
3putt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Myrtle Beach
Posts: 3,763
Re: Last page of threads have "unclickable" pages thereafter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope Shimmers View Post
Who the F are you, exactly, to tell the administrators what to do and how to do it?

You may be a supporting member (so am I), but you have no idea how much $ it actually takes to run this place. Server fees, etc.

I run this software on a similar forum that I administrate and own. I will tell you this: the problem is NOT on the admins end. It's on the software end, and the admins and owners can't fix a problem inherent to the software. All they can do is give advice on how to circumvent or lessen the issues, which is what is being done.

I really hate that attitude from people who just don't get it, but expect perfection and won't appreciate anyone else trying to fix a problem that isn't theirs to begin with. The problem is not the team's lack of "tech know-how", which you would get if you read the thousands of hours that I have about this particular software. So stop your accusations and your lack of respect of something you clearly know nothing about.

This forum is provided as a SERVICE. The fact that it's here at all is because dedicated people invested huge amounts of time and ongoing money to keep it going. Appreciate that and stop feeling like you are entitled to anything.
You're entitled to your opinion.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. -Mark Twain

For the lips of an adulteress drip honey and smoother than oil is her speech. -Proverbs 5:3
3putt is offline  
post #82 of 110 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 09:43 PM
Forum Supporter
 
Hope Shimmers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: US
Posts: 456
Re: Last page of threads have "unclickable" pages thereafter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3putt View Post
You're entitled to your opinion.
Yeah, except it's not opinion but rather fact.

But of course you are entitled to feeling entitled.

The powers that be at vbulletin can't even fix their own product. How is anyone else supposed to, given the limited access to the back end that we have? There is only so much that can be done with the software by the admin team or anyone else. I have an administrator on my forum who is a (brilliant) computer engineer and programs for Google full-time, and he just shakes his head at vbulletin. (I also have one who does nothing except manage moderators, make decisions about rules, and deal with difficult members - of which we thankfully have few. So not every admin has to be a techie. It's generally not a high-paying job. )

So short of breaking into vbulletin home base and re-coding their product - something I am sure they would probably be grateful for - there are really only 2 things to be done about the thread problem: 1) limit the length of threads/start new threads for those long ones with the constant issues; or 2) change your user cp/display threads such that the newest posts are at the beginning rather than the end. Those are admin decisions as far as I'm concerned.

We used to use SMF on my forum but switched to vbulletin (we had used it successfully on a forum back in the late 1990/early 2000's) version 4.x because we were having security issues with SMF, particularly their add-ons like photogallery. At the time (and this is still true for the most part), at least vbulletin was keeping up with security patches. That was our most important criteria. At the time we switched from SMF, software such as XenForo was pretty new and fairly expensive. Switching software without losing any data or features is a monstrous process, and you may end up trading 1 problem for 5 different problems. And then you have members who whine after the fact "because they liked that particular feature on the other software better" and so forth. BTDT. So I understand why they are avoiding switching to a different software.

Didn't mean to attack you; sorry if it came out sounding that way. If you have experience with this software then I'll definitely respect your thoughts on it. It just tends to be a trigger for me, because I do not believe (based on experience) that most people recognize the time commitment and financial commitments that go into running a place like this. So when members have 'expectations' or when they insult the administration, I tend to see that as feeling "entitled". Anyone who insults my admins or moderators in a public post will last about 30 seconds, but that's just me.

Peace.

Don't let people become a priority in your life when you're just an option in theirs.

Last edited by Hope Shimmers; 01-03-2017 at 09:54 PM.
Hope Shimmers is offline  
post #83 of 110 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 10:22 PM
Member
 
CharlieParker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: (n) a particular place or position.
Posts: 10,752
Re: Last page of threads have "unclickable" pages thereafter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope Shimmers View Post
The powers that be at vbulletin can't even fix their own product.



Sigh, my wife gives me the speaking treatment.
CharlieParker is offline  
post #84 of 110 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 10:51 AM
Administrator
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 584
Re: Last page of threads have "unclickable" pages thereafter

Thread rebuilds, changing thread display counts, thread order, or clearing cookies are all means to get the site to reset how it's displaying, that is the long and short of it. @Hope Shimmers did cover the other side of it, vb doesn't have a fix for this to that end we're not even sure what really causes it. However one user mentioned they got the behavior on Tapatalk, that's the same symptom to a different problem I'm afraid. The Tapatalk app uses the forum's data but is an entirely separate interface however again forcing it "reset" it's thread displays also helps this. Same work arounds apply

Kyle
Yungster is offline  
post #85 of 110 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 11:39 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 1,456
Re: Last page of threads have "unclickable" pages thereafter

I don't know if the problem is with the software itself or with this particular website but I will say that I've spent countless hours on several other VBulletin forums and have NEVER seen this issue which leads me to believe that the problem is..um.. "local".

browser is offline  
post #86 of 110 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 12:34 PM
Forum Supporter
 
Hope Shimmers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: US
Posts: 456
Re: Last page of threads have "unclickable" pages thereafter

Quote:
Originally Posted by browser View Post
I don't know if the problem is with the software itself or with this particular website but I will say that I've spent countless hours on several other VBulletin forums and have NEVER seen this issue which leads me to believe that the problem is..um.. "local".
You are wrong. It has nothing to do with this particular website. It is the vb software.

If you were correct, what would you suggest it is about "this particular website" that is the problem? Since you came up with that conclusion, I presume you have an idea of what the problem is. So what is it about the website, in your opinion, that is causing the problem?

Don't let people become a priority in your life when you're just an option in theirs.
Hope Shimmers is offline  
post #87 of 110 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 01:37 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 1,456
Re: Last page of threads have "unclickable" pages thereafter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope Shimmers View Post
You are wrong. It has nothing to do with this particular website. It is the vb software.

If you were correct, what would you suggest it is about "this particular website" that is the problem? Since you came up with that conclusion, I presume you have an idea of what the problem is. So what is it about the website, in your opinion, that is causing the problem?
Corrupted database files would be my guess.
browser is offline  
post #88 of 110 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 02:56 PM
Forum Supporter
 
Hope Shimmers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: US
Posts: 456
Re: Last page of threads have "unclickable" pages thereafter

Quote:
Originally Posted by browser View Post
Corrupted database files would be my guess.
It's a common problem. Lots of posts like the one below. I have had the same problem, and I don't have corrupted database files.

Last new post doesn't always show up in the thread - vBulletin Community Forum

Don't let people become a priority in your life when you're just an option in theirs.
Hope Shimmers is offline  
post #89 of 110 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 03:10 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 1,456
Re: Last page of threads have "unclickable" pages thereafter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope Shimmers View Post
It's a common problem. Lots of posts like the one below. I have had the same problem, and I don't have corrupted database files.

Last new post doesn't always show up in the thread - vBulletin Community Forum
@Hope Shimmers

It says right there in the link you provided that the forum admins took steps to fix the problem and were able to resolve it.
browser is offline  
post #90 of 110 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 03:53 PM
Forum Supporter
 
Hope Shimmers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: US
Posts: 456
Re: Last page of threads have "unclickable" pages thereafter

Quote:
Originally Posted by browser View Post
@Hope Shimmers

It says right there in the link you provided that the forum admins took steps to fix the problem and were able to resolve it.
No, that's not what it said. Try reading more carefully. It said that rebuilding the threads fixed the issue at the time, but only temporarily. In fact, Yungster posted on page 2 of this thread (post #18) that he did the exact same thing, with the exact same results.

Don't let people become a priority in your life when you're just an option in theirs.
Hope Shimmers is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on Talk About Marriage, you must first register. Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Important! Your username will be visible to the public next to anything you post and could show up in search engines like Google. If you are concerned about anonymity, PLEASE choose a username that will not be recognizable to anyone you know.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
White page Anon Pink Technical Difficulties? 126 02-21-2017 02:38 PM
TAM slow turning pages in 2016 Mr Blunt Technical Difficulties? 12 08-02-2016 11:28 AM
Question/Request: Do Threads Ever Get Pruned? jasoncampbell Suggestion Box 2 07-20-2016 04:36 PM
New shooting rampage in California tech-novelist Politics and Religion 635 01-09-2016 01:06 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome