Talk About Marriage banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Uhh..Ladies, what do you think of "free bleeding"?

8K views 61 replies 44 participants last post by  Chelle D 
#1 ·
Someone mentioned this on another forum I visit. There is a movement of a (I hope to god) small number of women, mostly radical feminists that subscribe to a belief of what is known as "free bleeding" where, as it sounds where women refuse to use any feminine hygiene products (ie pads/tampons etc) during their period. I googled it and unfortunately some pics came up I did not want to see, but I did find a site that talks about it (don't worry no pics)

Letting ourselves bleed

Apparently it's to help "empower" women by trying to make menstruating as natural as possible with no shame.

Sooo ladies...Have you ever heard of, or ever even participated? What do you think?

#30 ·
Why does everything stupid get blamed on feminism?

I'm a feminist.

I don't sit around in my own menstrual blood, anymore than I would sit around in my own urine (also a natural process). I also didn't eat the placenta after my kids were born, I didn't flip out my boobs in public to nurse my kids, I don't worship the moon goddess, I don't say HERstory instead of history, I don't write poetry about my vagina, I don't have abortions every day of the week as a method for birth control and I have never danced naked around a campfire (although it does sound kind of fun).

Feminism simply means that I believe that I should enjoy the same rights to fair treatment and equal pay that my male counterparts do. It doesn't mean that I engage in radical or foolish behavior.

The worst thing that I do is take off my bra when I get home and throw it over a banister and tell everyone in the house that I'm home and I just "Freed the Hostages." If men wore underwire bras all day at work, they'd understand this behavior though.

Lets not blame everything weird women do on feminism.

#31 ·
The worst thing that I do is take off my bra when I get home and throw it over a banister and tell everyone in the house that I'm home and I just "Freed the Hostages."
:rofl:

Reactions: Blondilocks
#40 ·
Why would you want to ruin perfectly good clothing just for the sake of promoting feminism? I mean, I have a vagina and I would like to be in control of what happens to it, so, by some peoples definition, that makes me a feminist.
But, I also like to be hygienic and walk around the world without leaking. If you're so against tampons and pads, try a menstrual cup.
Geez.

#43 ·
Some women have too much time on their hands. I don't see how going around free bleeding is going to foster feminism. In third world countries, women are forced to use old rags where they have to re wash to keep clean because they have no choice. How they would probably love to be able to go to the local stores to buy clean hygienic products that would alleviate odor and accidents. Now in developed countries wants to try this as a novelty. How stupid!

#44 ·
LOL ...WTF? I am afraid to google that... but it sounds rife with impracticalities... Don't the clothes that they do wear get stained/ruined? Or what, do they walk around naked? In which case, doesn't furniture get stained/ruined? Dried blood running down and caking on their legs? That empowers them? Do they go out in public? Go to work? Or are they so empowered they stop functioning while menstruating? Do they wear their stained clothes when no longer menstruating as a badge of honor?

Seriously - WTF?!

#46 ·
It's all a Hoax ... a really mindless one at that...like who would take this seriously!

Is #FreeBleeding a Hoax? UPDATE: Hoax Came From 4chan : The Other McCain

2 of the twitter users were NEW accounts ... that pretty much makes them Trolls... trying to stir things up .. Roaring womyn was one of them ...

Awe just what we expect in cyber space from those WITH too much time on their hands !.....

#58 ·
I saw this woman in People online yesterday. When I saw the pics, I almost dry heaved.

Someone in the comment section of the article had an excellent point. If she's doing this to raise awareness of the stigma and shame of menstruation and how third-world countries don't have access to hygiene products, where's the info to donate or help?

#56 ·
My D and I are having this convo. What the heck? I don't want to see other peoples blood and stuff.

I understand that having your period is nothing to be ashamed of. Its just a natural process of how our fertility cycle works. Males, fathers, brothers and husband need to be more compassionate and understanding instead of shaming us.

The whole cultural thing whether in here in the US or India about it being unclean or dirty just needs to be revised. The bodies natural process is not unclean.

What is unclean is walking around with blood all over yourself and not cleaning and washing yourself. All this talk about free bleeding makes me queasy. yikes.

#57 ·
As a man, I demand the right to Free Coming – condoms are an imposition by an STD-phobic society.

I am lactose-intolerant, and I will be practicing Free Flatus when required. Please excuse the inconvenience.

As a chronic diabetic, I demand the right to Free Peeing – incontinence is a natural phenomenon. If I dribble on public spaces, please put up with it. Adult Diapers are an imposition by a urophobic society.

Free Blowing too is on my mind (reference is to blowing my nose in public, you pervs).

And did I mention that I have uncontrollable IBS? I might demand Free That Too.

(Did not read all the posts. So if there is any redundancy, I apologize, even though I have the right to Free Yapping).

#59 ·
I think it's disgusting. I don't think that being on your period makes you unclean. Our period also is not shameful. But letting the blood just flow is not acceptable. There are many deadly bloodborne pathogens. If women are on their periods, free bleeding, blood will get on furniture that they sit on, or drip down their leg. Bodily fluids are not something that should just be flowing everywhere. If our nose runs, we don't just let it drip on our chair, nor do we wipe it on our sleeves (as toddlers do). If we cut ourselves, we don't just let blood drip onto the floor or furniture. Feminism does not equal stupidity. We can educate people about the fact that menstruation is not shameful while still keeping up our standard of not letting any bodily fluids just drip on everything.
Posted via Mobile Device

#60 ·
#62 ·
I realize it started with this hoax thing... But apparently the marathon runner decided to get publicity by "taking it seriously".

It's all just a bit too dumb for me. I can understand wanting to put up a "fight against tampons" if some women are mis-guided into believing they were invented by males, to portray the male phallus. - But sshhhzzzeessh.. Still contain it!.

To not put at least a pad in, is ludicrous. To go out and have to purchase new underwear once a month?? Stupid stupid stupid.

Or.. do you think they just use their previously stained underwear on those days? (Laundered and "clean" of course)

I hope to God, someday these women realize that their periods will be changing. When they get their first one that is the "OMG, where the H*ll did ALL THAT come from???" period... the Flow from hell period.... they will NOT be abandoning all products. Unless they have previously decided they will camp out and sit on the toilet for days on end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.