The impact of infidelity on the children - Page 2 - Talk About Marriage
Coping with Infidelity Relationship recovery from the destructiveness of infidelity.

User Tag List

 54Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #16 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 08:37 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 10,639
Re: The impact of infidelity on the children

Personally I am proud of my mother for divorcing my cheating father. Love them both dearly, close to them both, but she did the right thing. He shouldn't have cheated but once he did divorce was the right choice.

sokillme is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #17 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 08:46 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 10,639
Re: The impact of infidelity on the children

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandit.45 View Post
There is a growing trend among women these days, especially professional women, to walk out on their husbands and kids when marriage and family are no longer as important as career and status. It is frightening. There is a woman right now working for my company who is divorcing her husband and leaving her small kids with him while she takes a new position in a city across the country.

How can a woman do that? Doesn't that go against a female's programming?
Like the other post says men have done this forever. Most of the times they don't even divorce they just leave their family to make money. Hell some in society call them good men for doing so. If he didn't divorce her husband but just left to take the job would people see her as a bad wife and mother? I personally think long term separation from ones family is akin to emotional abandonment and wrong. Honestly at least she divorced him so he can find a women who wants to be with him and maybe even care for his kids like she won't. Lots of people don't get that chance.

In the bigger picture maybe you have made the mistake that many people do of assuming women are the "fairer sex". This has been a very long held fallacy but we all need to wake up to the fact that that is just what it is. The truth is they just haven't had the chance to be as ****ty as men because they didn't have the economic or social power to do so. I think the majority of women and men are good, but given the opportunity an equal amount of women are just as ****ty as ****ty men out there, there really is no difference.
sokillme is offline  
post #18 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 09:10 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 6,889
Lol at the idea that going to work is an affair/leaving the woman.

Typical "women badder than men" drivel
personofinterest is offline  
 
post #19 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 12:54 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: CA
Posts: 5,751
Re: The impact of infidelity on the children

When we talk about the effect of infidelity on children, we tend to focus on the effect of divorce.

I've always noticed the effects on the children as the infidelity is active in a marriage. This is when the cheating parent is focused on the affair instead of the family, when the spouse and children become background noise (often irritating background noise), when the entire family unit is held in contempt.

Children feel this devaluing. I've never understood the claim made by both cheating and betrayed spouses that the cheater is 'a good parent.' I simply don't believe that a parent who consistently puts his/her pleasure above time spent with/attention paid to the children is a good parent. Not to mention how painful it is for a child to see the betrayed parent in such hurt and misery.

I think this all has a huge impact on children.
alte Dame is offline  
post #20 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 02:08 PM
Member
 
StillSearching's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 2,183
Re: The impact of infidelity on the children

Quote:
Originally Posted by CynthiaDe View Post
She has been given over to a depraved mind.
Welcome to 2018 and beyond.
But she can say "I'm strong!"


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
at 1:30 secs
"Treat yourself like someone you are responsible for helping."
"Pursue what is meaningful, not what is expedient."
"Nothing is as simultaneously, fear inspiring and arousing for women as a Man she suspects is self-aware of his own value."
StillSearching is offline  
post #21 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 02:10 PM
Member
 
StillSearching's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 2,183
Re: The impact of infidelity on the children

Quote:
Originally Posted by alte Dame View Post
When we talk about the effect of infidelity on children, we tend to focus on the effect of divorce.

I've always noticed the effects on the children as the infidelity is active in a marriage. This is when the cheating parent is focused on the affair instead of the family, when the spouse and children become background noise (often irritating background noise), when the entire family unit is held in contempt.

Children feel this devaluing. I've never understood the claim made by both cheating and betrayed spouses that the cheater is 'a good parent.' I simply don't believe that a parent who consistently puts his/her pleasure above time spent with/attention paid to the children is a good parent. Not to mention how painful it is for a child to see the betrayed parent in such hurt and misery.

I think this all has a huge impact on children.
YES....just ask mine...


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
at 1:30 secs
"Treat yourself like someone you are responsible for helping."
"Pursue what is meaningful, not what is expedient."
"Nothing is as simultaneously, fear inspiring and arousing for women as a Man she suspects is self-aware of his own value."
StillSearching is offline  
post #22 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-23-2019, 12:38 PM
Member
 
moon7's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattMatt View Post
https://medium.com/live-your-life-on...t-84002f7c1d90
Quote:
I Was Seven When I Tore My Family Apart
A heartbreaking story from the child's point of view.
I'm a child raised seing my fathers affair until he started "the moving out process" whe i was 17. He cheated on my mom their entire marriage and she couldnt go looking for him (he used to travel to visit my grandma and his girlfriends were all from that city) because she had to work and raise me, bro and sis, because my fathers money went entirely for partying.

Ive started reading foruns like this one, SI or LS or even the people from the MSM (non related) when i was 19 and before and it helped me to forgive my father and understand he had a underdeveloped personality (now he had to do a lot of growing up in those years after tjeir divorce, so its easier) and by me forgiving him and treating him respectfully and talking normaly my brothers are closer to forgiving him too. I mostly dont remember anything related to it nowdays, but ometimes i trigger and come back to these foruns read everything i can until i get saturated (once a years or once every 2 years just reading, not answering).

Im really thankfull for all your stories because it helped me so much to be understanding and loving toward human problems. But I know if it wasnt for the books, foruns and a kind of catartic help throught those i would be pretty unstable, especially because my mom almost went insane, so i had to understand why and how she became like that (now im 30 and my mom simply rocks, she is way mentally better than all cheated wifes ive met, but she triggers too and she doesnt even knows what a trigger is, but i know and i understand that she is being harsh not because she isnt a good or loving mother, but because she isnt completely healed).
moon7 is offline  
post #23 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-23-2019, 12:46 PM
Member
 
notmyjamie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: United States
Posts: 1,718
Re: The impact of infidelity on the children

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandit.45 View Post

How can a woman do that? Doesn't that go against a female's programming?
I couldn't even begin to explain it as it's not something I could ever do. I had a friend years ago who talked her husband into 6 children...he wanted one. When the youngest was 2, she decided she was tired of the whole motherhood thing and moved out. Her children hate her now. When I knew her she prided herself on being the world's best mother. I still don't get it.
notmyjamie is offline  
post #24 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-23-2019, 12:58 PM
Member
 
moon7's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattMatt View Post
https://medium.com/live-your-life-on...t-84002f7c1d90
Quote:
I Was Seven When I Tore My Family Apart
A heartbreaking story from the child's point of view.

Me, bro and sis were lucky because we didnt need our father financially, because our mother steped up and covered everything thats was basic and some more while karma bus hitted my father so HARD financially that years later (when they finally divorced for real) he even tried to ask for alimony from her.

But the harder part to forgive my father for was the emotional destruction he left behind while he went to live his whatever. My mother was mentally and emotionally instable, would blow for no reason and accuse us of doing things we didnt do, even wake me to slap me and stuff like that. So we were completely deprived of a father and mostly deprived of a mother, and we had no mental/emotional estability at home, and NEVER silence at home for so long that both bro and sis are insecure at everything and anything and have anxiety phases and stuff. I always had to deal with the worst part as i was older, but i always had this introspection to observe and read and rationalize everything, something they dont have, making it harder for them to understand.

My fathers self-love, egoism and lack of empathy cheating mom for almost 2 decades messed part of us 4 that we had and still have to deal and rebuid (or build even better).
moon7 is offline  
post #25 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-23-2019, 01:17 PM
Member
 
arbitrator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Central Texas/Brazos Valley
Posts: 16,180
Cool Re: The impact of infidelity on the children

It's too damned bad that most adulterers tend to think with their crotches instead of with their cranium!

Their children, more often than not, are simply the unwitting victims of infidelity's clutches!



"To love another person is to see the face of God!" - Jean Valjean from Les Miserables

My Story!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
arbitrator is online now  
post #26 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-23-2019, 03:23 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: UK
Posts: 7,261
Re: The impact of infidelity on the children

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandit.45 View Post
There is a growing trend among women these days, especially professional women, to walk out on their husbands and kids when marriage and family are no longer as important as career and status. It is frightening. There is a woman right now working for my company who is divorcing her husband and leaving her small kids with him while she takes a new position in a city across the country.

How can a woman do that? Doesn't that go against a female's programming?
I could never ever have left my children no matter what. Parents can be so completely selfish.
Diana7 is offline  
post #27 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-23-2019, 03:23 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 1,922
Re: The impact of infidelity on the children

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandit.45 View Post
There is a growing trend among women these days, .....

How can a woman do that? Doesn't that go against a female's programming?
It should, but society is reprograming women and men. Look at how acceptable abortion became. Destroying a baby would be the biggest horror I could imagine. Now you have States that have past laws to allow post birth infanticide under the code name abortion.

The times have changed.
Young at Heart is offline  
post #28 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-23-2019, 03:30 PM
Member
 
Marduk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 17,957
Re: The impact of infidelity on the children

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young at Heart View Post
Now you have States that have past laws to allow post birth infanticide under the code name abortion.
Not true.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/26/h...ill-trump.html

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlo...ile-up-voters/

One could go on. You're being played if you believe this drivel.
Marduk is offline  
post #29 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-23-2019, 04:08 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: CA
Posts: 5,751
Re: The impact of infidelity on the children

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon7 View Post
Me, bro and sis were lucky because we didnt need our father financially, because our mother steped up and covered everything thats was basic and some more while karma bus hitted my father so HARD financially that years later (when they finally divorced for real) he even tried to ask for alimony from her.

But the harder part to forgive my father for was the emotional destruction he left behind while he went to live his whatever. My mother was mentally and emotionally instable, would blow for no reason and accuse us of doing things we didnt do, even wake me to slap me and stuff like that. So we were completely deprived of a father and mostly deprived of a mother, and we had no mental/emotional estability at home, and NEVER silence at home for so long that both bro and sis are insecure at everything and anything and have anxiety phases and stuff. I always had to deal with the worst part as i was older, but i always had this introspection to observe and read and rationalize everything, something they dont have, making it harder for them to understand.

My fathers self-love, egoism and lack of empathy cheating mom for almost 2 decades messed part of us 4 that we had and still have to deal and rebuid (or build even better).
You say you've forgiven your father. Has he changed and taken responsibility for what he did to all of you?
alte Dame is offline  
post #30 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-24-2019, 05:44 PM
Member
 
moon7's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by alte Dame View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by moon7 View Post
Me, bro and sis were lucky because we didnt need our father financially, because our mother steped up and covered everything thats was basic and some more while karma bus hitted my father so HARD financially that years later (when they finally divorced for real) he even tried to ask for alimony from her.

But the harder part to forgive my father for was the emotional destruction he left behind while he went to live his whatever. My mother was mentally and emotionally instable, would blow for no reason and accuse us of doing things we didnt do, even wake me to slap me and stuff like that. So we were completely deprived of a father and mostly deprived of a mother, and we had no mental/emotional estability at home, and NEVER silence at home for so long that both bro and sis are insecure at everything and anything and have anxiety phases and stuff. I always had to deal with the worst part as i was older, but i always had this introspection to observe and read and rationalize everything, something they dont have, making it harder for them to understand.

My fathers self-love, egoism and lack of empathy cheating mom for almost 2 decades messed part of us 4 that we had and still have to deal and rebuid (or build even better).
You say you've forgiven your father. Has he changed and taken responsibility for what he did to all of you?
In his way he think he "almost" have: he made a complete bedroom for us in his new house with the last lover (the one he married), but my forgiveness is independent of anything. He has "grown up" because now he has way more empathy and learned to be responsible by himself (my mother was almost like his mother).
moon7 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on Talk About Marriage, you must first register. Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Important! Your username will be visible to the public next to anything you post and could show up in search engines like Google. If you are concerned about anonymity, PLEASE choose a username that will not be recognizable to anyone you know.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome