Navigating a lose-lose situation - Talk About Marriage
Coping with Infidelity Relationship recovery from the destructiveness of infidelity.

User Tag List

 49Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-09-2020, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Parasite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: West Coast of the USA. Big city.
Posts: 39
Navigating a lose-lose situation

How do you navigate trust rebuilding? It feels like a lose-lose situation.


I don't want to spend the rest of my life running security audits on a partner.
Snooping compromises my character.
Not snooping means I have no assurances, never rebuild trust.
For the past 3-4 years I have not sent a Valentine's card, celebrated our first meeting-getting together (almost 20 years ago), no wedding anniversary. This is a **** way to treat someone but I can't bring myself to go back.
Can't forget and pretend it never happened. It doesn't feel right.
Can't continue to treat her this way. It doesn't feel right.

How have you walked this line? Got any advice?

Parasite is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-09-2020, 01:20 PM
Member
 
Marduk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 17,610
Re: Navigating a lose-lose situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parasite View Post
How do you navigate trust rebuilding? It feels like a lose-lose situation.


I don't want to spend the rest of my life running security audits on a partner.
Snooping compromises my character.
Not snooping means I have no assurances, never rebuild trust.
For the past 3-4 years I have not sent a Valentine's card, celebrated our first meeting-getting together (almost 20 years ago), no wedding anniversary. This is a **** way to treat someone but I can't bring myself to go back.
Can't forget and pretend it never happened. It doesn't feel right.
Can't continue to treat her this way. It doesn't feel right.

How have you walked this line? Got any advice?
It depends on how you think about it, and where you currently are at.

If you're the one that blew the trust to begin with, then you're the one that has to make the first move rebuilding it.

If she cheated and you snooped, then I guess there's very little compromise on your character, and no trust on your end to have to rebuild. If she didn't and you snooped, different story.

If you're not celebrating anniversaries because she cheated, well I probably wouldn't either, and wouldn't feel bad about it. But if she didn't cheat and I didn't do those things, then I would, and I'd start doing them ASAP.

It sounds like your wife cheated and you are trying to reconcile but feel stuck. Is that where you're at?
Marduk is offline  
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-09-2020, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Parasite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: West Coast of the USA. Big city.
Posts: 39
Re: Navigating a lose-lose situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marduk View Post
It sounds like your wife cheated and you are trying to reconcile but feel stuck. Is that where you're at?
The only confirmation I have is an emotional affair (no evidence of sex) with a fellow grad school student. It was the "friend" that I was not to worry about. I only noticed the distance but attributed it to school work, reduced funds and poor employment prospects after graduating.

The story was presented to me as her triumph over adversity, and how she turned down that man's request to leave the country with her. She must have thought that I would have been pleased, that she chose me after all. We were out a wine bar when she told this all to me.

Then everything seemed to click. The lack of sex in the past few years, the distance, the time spent meeting with friends, and the traveling after graduation. Goodness know who else she spent time with.

So I asked for a divorce. Asked if she wanted to keep renting the apartment or if she would like to move out. She cried and beg, etc.

Since then, there has been a close family death. Was going to ask for divorce again this month but the death in her family will delay me for at least another year.

With this death, there has been some behavior changes. I saw her use a vacuum cleaner in the house for the first time in a decade or so.

Instead of pure happiness, my sorry mind thought:
Who's visiting the apartment?
Why else would she be cleaning?
What else is going on?
Where is "friend" currently?
Parasite is offline  
 
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-09-2020, 01:59 PM
Member
 
Marduk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 17,610
Re: Navigating a lose-lose situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parasite View Post
The only confirmation I have is an emotional affair (no evidence of sex) with a fellow grad school student. It was the "friend" that I was not to worry about. I only noticed the distance but attributed it to school work, reduced funds and poor employment prospects after graduating.

The story was presented to me as her triumph over adversity, and how she turned down that man's request to leave the country with her. She must have thought that I would have been pleased, that she chose me after all. We were out a wine bar when she told this all to me.

Then everything seemed to click. The lack of sex in the past few years, the distance, the time spent meeting with friends, and the traveling after graduation. Goodness know who else she spent time with.

So I asked for a divorce. Asked if she wanted to keep renting the apartment or if she would like to move out. She cried and beg, etc.

Since then, there has been a close family death. Was going to ask for divorce again this month but the death in her family will delay me for at least another year.

With this death, there has been some behavior changes. I saw her use a vacuum cleaner in the house for the first time in a decade or so.

Instead of pure happiness, my sorry mind thought:
Who's visiting the apartment?
Why else would she be cleaning?
What else is going on?
Where is "friend" currently?
If you've decided to divorce, the need to forgive her or she you is on the back burner. What needs to be dealt with then is the divorce.

I fail to understand how a death in the family means a year delay in seperation. Perhaps a month or two is a better timeline, and gives you time to get your ducks in a row?

I agree about the cheating. Her story makes zero sense. You don't get to "come move to another country with me" without having a fairly extensive, and sexual relationship prior to that.
Marduk is offline  
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-09-2020, 02:04 PM
Forum Supporter
 
sunsetmist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: The Land of Y'all
Posts: 1,862
Re: Navigating a lose-lose situation

I read part of your other post (2016). Your wife had an EA---probably long term. Therapists blamed you and one even suggested an open marriage. I DK why. Wife carries on with marriage celebrations. Y'all are from an Asian culture.

You are still miserable, untrusting and do not feel you can go back. I do not know the details of her affair. You had been together a long time--20 years? Sounds like your questions regarding her affair were unanswered. How could she travel with him and it not be physical? Physical doesn't just mean PIV.

So you lose either way. Is there still concern about rent-controlled apartment? Was yours an arranged marriage? I'm confused actually. Why will a death in her family delay divorce for a year? According to you, she does not function as most expect a wife to do and you want to divorce. Is there now someone else for you?
sunsetmist is offline  
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-09-2020, 02:20 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: UK
Posts: 7,206
Re: Navigating a lose-lose situation

Who died? Unless it was someone like a parent who she was very close to I cant see why you need to delay anything. I think you are looking for excuses.
Diana7 is offline  
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-09-2020, 02:47 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Parasite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: West Coast of the USA. Big city.
Posts: 39
Re: Navigating a lose-lose situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marduk View Post
If you've decided to divorce, the need to forgive her or she you is on the back burner. What needs to be dealt with then is the divorce.

I fail to understand how a death in the family means a year delay in seperation. Perhaps a month or two is a better timeline, and gives you time to get your ducks in a row?

I agree about the cheating. Her story makes zero sense. You don't get to "come move to another country with me" without having a fairly extensive, and sexual relationship prior to that.
Feels like a divorce and walking away is the only way I know how to forgive. One of her parents died. Would be cruel to her and her remaining parent. We were all close.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsetmist View Post
I read part of your other post (2016). Your wife had an EA---probably long term. Therapists blamed you and one even suggested an open marriage. I DK why. Wife carries on with marriage celebrations. Y'all are from an Asian culture.

You are still miserable, untrusting and do not feel you can go back. I do not know the details of her affair. You had been together a long time--20 years? Sounds like your questions regarding her affair were unanswered. How could she travel with him and it not be physical? Physical doesn't just mean PIV.

So you lose either way. Is there still concern about rent-controlled apartment? Was yours an arranged marriage? I'm confused actually. Why will a death in her family delay divorce for a year? According to you, she does not function as most expect a wife to do and you want to divorce. Is there now someone else for you?
No she's from the States. Very white. I'm the one from South East Asia. She very probably didn't travel with her "friend". If I found one, I can't help but think of how many others she might have had. Only told after years had passed, after I asked for a divorce. Asked for a divorce separation once, then again after getting confirmation. Never trusted people much, except for her. Regretfully.

There are no wifely duties in my mind. She's free to do what she wants except betray me. She didn't want to relay more of her uncertainties to me for fear I would leave. In my mind, if you are uncertain, it should end.

I don't think I will get an honest answer about why she doesn't want a divorce. Likely has to do with her parents. Now that one has passed, I am not sure what might happen.

The rent control issue is more for her than me. Likely, she will keep it. I am more likely to move quit, hike around a few months (Most National Parks allows 30 days a year) and return to my home country for a long while. I'm not a citizen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana7 View Post
Who died? Unless it was someone like a parent who she was very close to I cant see why you need to delay anything. I think you are looking for excuses.
You're probably right. I'm very much concerned with doing the right thing by her parents. A year of after the death feels more appropriate. I have fond memories of this one.

Brings a smile to my face to remember how they made sure I had plenty of drink and smokes in college. Very old fashioned.
Parasite is offline  
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-09-2020, 04:13 PM
TJW
Member
 
TJW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,318
Re: Navigating a lose-lose situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parasite View Post
The story was presented to me as her triumph over adversity
You can find this in the Cheater's Handbook, chapter 19. It's similar to the one the used-car salesman tells you about the sawdust in the steering column. It's a "feature".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parasite View Post
and how she turned down that man's request to leave the country with her.
ibid., chapter 13. After all, this alpha-male-paragon-of-sexual-attractiveness was completely impossible to resist. And, you, poor little beta-boy, should thank your lucky stars that your wife is such a shining example of fidelitous devotion, or else, you would be left to sit by your homely self while she followed her Prince charming to live happily ever after......


Quote:
Originally Posted by Parasite View Post
Goodness know who else she spent time with.
The Cheater's Handbook is quite clear about this, too. Dr. Phil must have written parts of it, because he says "...for every rat you see....there's 50 you don't...."
TJW is online now  
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-09-2020, 04:21 PM
Member
 
Marduk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 17,610
Re: Navigating a lose-lose situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parasite View Post
Feels like a divorce and walking away is the only way I know how to forgive. One of her parents died. Would be cruel to her and her remaining parent. We were all close.
As cruel as say, carrying on a long term affair, almost moving away with the guy, and then asking to open the marriage up?

I'd give her a month or two. Use the time to get your legal ducks in a row. End of Feb maybe you give her the paperwork and ask her to leave. Call your remaining in-law and explain to them what you're doing and why, and that you'll always love and respect them.
Marduk is offline  
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-09-2020, 05:39 PM
TJW
Member
 
TJW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,318
Re: Navigating a lose-lose situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marduk View Post
get your legal ducks in a row.
Yep. Before you do anything. Anything at all, make sure of the legal ramifications of all your planned actions before you execute upon them.

TJW is online now  
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-09-2020, 06:12 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 581
Re: Navigating a lose-lose situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parasite View Post
The story was presented to me as her triumph over adversity, and how she turned down that man's request to leave the country with her.
She chickened out and then turned it into a personal triumph. Grandiosity much? My experience says - no kids? - Run. This is how she is - she can't change.

Quote:
Since then, there has been a close family death. Was going to ask for divorce again this month but the death in her family will delay me for at least another year.
Why? Are you sure this is not an excuse for not taking action? If you really decide to divorce don't ask - present her with a fait accompli.
Quote:

With this death, there has been some behavior changes. I saw her use a vacuum cleaner in the house for the first time in a decade or so.

Instead of pure happiness, my sorry mind thought:
Who's visiting the apartment?
Why else would she be cleaning?
What else is going on?
Where is "friend" currently?
And you will have such fears until you part.

I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned. Richard P. Feynman
cp3o is offline  
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-09-2020, 06:23 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Midwest/Plains
Posts: 1,377
Re: Navigating a lose-lose situation

Divorce her, you don't need her permission quit being weak go and find the spine that got lost. Who gives a hoot if she vacuumed now, too much trash in the home. Bail out now, do your walking and go back to the mother land.

Time has come to stop being the marital police!

If your not the object of your lovers heart, then your just an object.
If you think the grass is greener on the otherside it's not, what you see are the weeds.
Tilted 1 is offline  
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-09-2020, 09:17 PM
Member
 
turnera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 39,695
Re: Navigating a lose-lose situation

Tell her now you are divorcing her at the end of the year. Set it in motion and spend this year preparing your life for life without her.
turnera is offline  
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-09-2020, 11:42 PM
Member
 
aine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Away and beyond in a hot place
Posts: 5,342
Re: Navigating a lose-lose situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parasite View Post
The only confirmation I have is an emotional affair (no evidence of sex) with a fellow grad school student. It was the "friend" that I was not to worry about. I only noticed the distance but attributed it to school work, reduced funds and poor employment prospects after graduating.

The story was presented to me as her triumph over adversity, and how she turned down that man's request to leave the country with her. She must have thought that I would have been pleased, that she chose me after all. We were out a wine bar when she told this all to me.

Then everything seemed to click. The lack of sex in the past few years, the distance, the time spent meeting with friends, and the traveling after graduation. Goodness know who else she spent time with.

So I asked for a divorce. Asked if she wanted to keep renting the apartment or if she would like to move out. She cried and beg, etc.

Since then, there has been a close family death. Was going to ask for divorce again this month but the death in her family will delay me for at least another year.

With this death, there has been some behavior changes. I saw her use a vacuum cleaner in the house for the first time in a decade or so.

Instead of pure happiness, my sorry mind thought:
Who's visiting the apartment?
Why else would she be cleaning?
What else is going on?
Where is "friend" currently?
You will not get past this unless there is openness and honesty about how hurt you are over all this. This game you are playing is deadly. Either choose to meet it head on or let your marriage fizzle out cause that’s where it is going.
Perhaps try a few MC sessions and see where that takes you,?
Have you been a perfect spouse all along? Not talking about stuff is pointless at this stage. Just do it, see where the chips fall. How long have t
You had this resentment/bitterness, holding onto it, will do no good.

The life you have, is the life you create
aine is offline  
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-10-2020, 12:17 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 2,509
Re: Navigating a lose-lose situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parasite View Post
The only confirmation I have is an emotional affair (no evidence of sex) with a fellow grad school student. It was the "friend" that I was not to worry about. I only noticed the distance but attributed it to school work, reduced funds and poor employment prospects after graduating.

The story was presented to me as her triumph over adversity, and how she turned down that man's request to leave the country with her. She must have thought that I would have been pleased, that she chose me after all. We were out a wine bar when she told this all to me.

Then everything seemed to click. The lack of sex in the past few years, the distance, the time spent meeting with friends, and the traveling after graduation. Goodness know who else she spent time with.

So I asked for a divorce. Asked if she wanted to keep renting the apartment or if she would like to move out. She cried and beg, etc.

Since then, there has been a close family death. Was going to ask for divorce again this month but the death in her family will delay me for at least another year.

With this death, there has been some behavior changes. I saw her use a vacuum cleaner in the house for the first time in a decade or so.

Instead of pure happiness, my sorry mind thought:
Who's visiting the apartment?
Why else would she be cleaning?
What else is going on?
Where is "friend" currently?
Listen, you feel like you do because you rug swept the whole affair. You handled it improperly. Most people do the first time, esp being young...

And, yes she was involved in a sexual affair, no doubt about it. She has lied to you from the very beginning.

This is part of rug sweeping.

You need to divorce her. I think too much water under the bridge.

Learn from your mistakes...
BluesPower is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on Talk About Marriage, you must first register. Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Important! Your username will be visible to the public next to anything you post and could show up in search engines like Google. If you are concerned about anonymity, PLEASE choose a username that will not be recognizable to anyone you know.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome