Belly Full, Empty Balls Rule - Page 8 - Talk About Marriage
The Men's Clubhouse Talk about life's dilemmas.

User Tag List

 257Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #106 of 166 (permalink) Old 12-06-2019, 01:43 PM
Member
 
Marduk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 18,037
Re: Belly Full, Empty Balls Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReformedHubby View Post
You seem very passionate about this. But I just can't take the world that seriously. I can't think of many stereotypes that don't have at least some truth to them, even some of the ugliest that make us feel ashamed. Those of us that are in respective groups often joke about those very same stereotypes that are applied to us when amongst each other. I guess my biggest gripe these days is that everyone wants to tell me when I should be offended. Then if I am not offended, they want to "educate" me. Its become a bizarre world in a lot of ways. I still find humor in it though. I guess its funny to me that so many white people think they know what offends black people these days. Don't get me wrong, you can ALWAYS find someone who is offended by anything. But what we should be asking ourselves is, at what point did we decide we wanted a society that no one would be offended by anything ever? Thats not realistic, and quite frankly it makes for a dull world IMO. We are becoming an overly PC country just to avoid offending a very very small minority of people.
You completely and totally miss the point.

You think by making jokes like this, you're keeping people in good spirits and helping keep people strong.

When in fact, I think you are doing the opposite. And I think that by insisting to do so, and getting butt-hurt at others asking you to stop, you do nothing but show your own fragility.

Ever see your child pretend to laugh along at a racist joke against her ancestry because people assumed she was white? I have. Do you think that made her stronger? No, I think it made her feel vulnerable, judged, and afraid. Do you think she thought that guy was strong and just laughing? No, she thought he was a racist ******* but she was afraid to speak up. So I spoke up for her. He said exactly what you are saying - "I was just joking" and "you shouldn't be so fragile." He kept making jokes, laughing at my daughter, now in tears.

So I invited him to take it outside. He looked at all of his friends and laughed at me. So I invited to them all to come outside with him.

You can leave it to your own imagination to decide who turned out to be fragile. I didn't have a hand laid on me, and I didn't hit any of them, but several of them did end up on the ground bleeding. The rest ran away like the fragile cowards they were. You know what I said as I walked away? "I hope you're not hurt, I was just joking."

My daughter now is unafraid to speak her truth and unafraid to call out "I was just joking" for the bull**** it is. She is very much the opposite of fragile - that's why she speaks out.
Marduk is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #107 of 166 (permalink) Old 12-06-2019, 02:00 PM
Member
 
2ntnuf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 17,837
Re: Belly Full, Empty Balls Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marduk View Post
You completely and totally miss the point.

You think by making jokes like this, you're keeping people in good spirits and helping keep people strong.

When in fact, I think you are doing the opposite. And I think that by insisting to do so, and getting butt-hurt at others asking you to stop, you do nothing but show your own fragility.

Ever see your child pretend to laugh along at a racist joke against her ancestry because people assumed she was white? I have. Do you think that made her stronger? No, I think it made her feel vulnerable, judged, and afraid. Do you think she thought that guy was strong and just laughing? No, she thought he was a racist ******* but she was afraid to speak up. So I spoke up for her. He said exactly what you are saying - "I was just joking" and "you shouldn't be so fragile." He kept making jokes, laughing at my daughter, now in tears.

So I invited him to take it outside. He looked at all of his friends and laughed at me. So I invited to them all to come outside with him.

You can leave it to your own imagination to decide who turned out to be fragile. I didn't have a hand laid on me, and I didn't hit any of them, but several of them did end up on the ground bleeding. The rest ran away like the fragile cowards they were. You know what I said as I walked away? "I hope you're not hurt, I was just joking."

My daughter now is unafraid to speak her truth and unafraid to call out "I was just joking" for the bull**** it is. She is very much the opposite of fragile - that's why she speaks out.
How did these children end up on the ground bleeding? Did this happen at high school or middle school? Can you expand on your story? Sorry that happened to your daughter. Any father would be angry. What message would it have sent, if it had turned out badly for you?

"I'm significant!! Screamed the dust speck." - Bill Watterson
"Youth is wasted on the young". - George Bernard Shaw

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2ntnuf is offline  
post #108 of 166 (permalink) Old 12-06-2019, 02:05 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Robberbaron F.house
Posts: 406
Re: Belly Full, Empty Balls Rule

Ef-em if they can't take a joke. Lets get back to food and sex !
2&out is offline  
post #109 of 166 (permalink) Old 12-06-2019, 02:07 PM
Member
 
Marduk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 18,037
Re: Belly Full, Empty Balls Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ntnuf View Post
How did these children end up on the ground bleeding? Did this happen at high school or middle school? Can you expand on your story? Sorry that happened to your daughter. Any father would be angry. What message would it have sent, if it had turned out badly for you?
Not children, 20-something men. This happened, at all places, at a five star resort in the back country. I have practiced martial arts most of my adult life. I do not have to hit someone to hurt them. Sometimes you don't have to do anything at all to be in the right place in the right time and just let the earth hit someone for you.

Now, I do not think you or anyone else here would be the kind of guy to sit there and make an adolescent girl cry by telling racist jokes to their face. My point in telling that story is to say that they assumed it was harmless because they assumed she was white. When they realized she wasn't, they wanted her to be stronger so that they could remain weaker - they were actually shifting their accountability onto a young girl, while claiming to be helping her not be fragile! This is intellectual fragility and a lack of personal accountability on their part.

If it had turned out badly for her, it would have taught her the same message. The outcome was meaningless, except to demonstrate what fragility really is. Their own lack of adaptiveness and aggression is what hurt them.

Society is changing. Adapt or die.
Marduk is offline  
post #110 of 166 (permalink) Old 12-06-2019, 02:12 PM
Moderator
 
farsidejunky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 11,653
Re: Belly Full, Empty Balls Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson View Post
Hopefully people try to make the world a better place. If jokes are hurtful to some people, then I would hope good people would refrain from telling those jokes. Is the laugh worth the hurt feelings? Some people get bullied to the point of suicide over being gay, a minority, or different in some way. Making hurtful jokes for some of those topics seems like it would be making the world worse. And there are some topics which are so horrific that they shouldn't be joked about at all, like the Holocaust.



When I was in high school, I told gay jokes and did the gay lisp because I thought that stuff was hilarious. It was only years later that I found out that some of my friends back then were actually gay. They kept it a secret because I'm sure they didn't feel comfortable revealing that when even their friends were making jokes about it. One friend I remember laughing uncomfortably, and I later found out he was gay. I'm sure he had a lot of negative feelings at that moment. I feel horrible I did that and it pains me that I made my friends feel ashamed about that part of them. Just telling the joke sends the message "I think gay people are weird.".



If the only thing someone can joke about are stereotypes, then that's probably a sign that they are not really very funny. Someone who has a good sense of humor can find humor in a wide variety of areas. If not joking about stereotypes means you have nothing funny to say, then that's probably a good thing.
So back to my original question, which you took three lengthy paragraphs to discuss without actually providing an answer.

Who gets to decide who is worthy of protection?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

"Our ability to feel joy is directly related to how much pain we are willing to feel." - Mavash.

"The truth is, everyone is going to hurt you. You just got to find the ones worth suffering for." - Bob Marley
farsidejunky is online now  
post #111 of 166 (permalink) Old 12-06-2019, 02:16 PM
Moderator
 
farsidejunky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 11,653
Re: Belly Full, Empty Balls Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReformedHubby View Post
You seem very passionate about this. But I just can't take the world that seriously. I can't think of many stereotypes that don't have at least some truth to them, even some of the ugliest that make us feel ashamed. Those of us that are in respective groups often joke about those very same stereotypes that are applied to us when amongst each other. I guess my biggest gripe these days is that everyone wants to tell me when I should be offended. Then if I am not offended, they want to "educate" me. Its become a bizarre world in a lot of ways. I still find humor in it though. I guess its funny to me that so many white people think they know what offends black people these days. Don't get me wrong, you can ALWAYS find someone who is offended by anything. But what we should be asking ourselves is, at what point did we decide we wanted a society that no one would be offended by anything ever? Thats not realistic, and quite frankly it makes for a dull world IMO. We are becoming an overly PC country just to avoid offending a very very small minority of people.
I wish I could like this twice.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

"Our ability to feel joy is directly related to how much pain we are willing to feel." - Mavash.

"The truth is, everyone is going to hurt you. You just got to find the ones worth suffering for." - Bob Marley
farsidejunky is online now  
post #112 of 166 (permalink) Old 12-06-2019, 02:18 PM
Moderator
 
farsidejunky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 11,653
Re: Belly Full, Empty Balls Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marduk View Post
Society is changing. Adapt or die.
You omitted choice number three.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

"Our ability to feel joy is directly related to how much pain we are willing to feel." - Mavash.

"The truth is, everyone is going to hurt you. You just got to find the ones worth suffering for." - Bob Marley
farsidejunky is online now  
post #113 of 166 (permalink) Old 12-06-2019, 02:18 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 1,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marduk View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ntnuf View Post
How did these children end up on the ground bleeding? Did this happen at high school or middle school? Can you expand on your story? Sorry that happened to your daughter. Any father would be angry. What message would it have sent, if it had turned out badly for you?
Not children, 20-something men. This happened, at all places, at a five star resort in the back country. I have practiced martial arts most of my adult life. I do not have to hit someone to hurt them. Sometimes you don't have to do anything at all to be in the right place in the right time and just let the earth hit someone for you.

Now, I do not think you or anyone else here would be the kind of guy to sit there and make an adolescent girl cry by telling racist jokes to their face. My point in telling that story is to say that they assumed it was harmless because they assumed she was white. When they realized she wasn't, they wanted her to be stronger so that they could remain weaker - they were actually shifting their accountability onto a young girl, while claiming to be helping her not be fragile! This is intellectual fragility and a lack of personal accountability on their part.

If it had turned out badly for her, it would have taught her the same message. The outcome was meaningless, except to demonstrate what fragility really is. Their own lack of adaptiveness and aggression is what hurt them.

Society is changing. Adapt or die.
Can I not adapt and not die? Anyways, you have to know your audience or you will just look like a jerk like that guy. Half of the comics in the world would be homeless if they weren't funny. But if anyone is offended, they can simply choose not to buy a ticket. I guess I could offend bald guys with ED just as easily. People with hair and virility would laugh but the offended party may feel ashamed, or they could get a sense of humor and stop taking themselves so seriously.
UpsideDownWorld11 is online now  
post #114 of 166 (permalink) Old 12-06-2019, 02:20 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 1,361
Re: Belly Full, Empty Balls Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpsideDownWorld11 View Post
Well, of course, there is a time and place for everything. And I certainly wouldn't make any joke at work that a tightwad might take as offensive. Mainly, just around friends and family, because there are too many tightwads out there, so one needs to be careful what one says lest they incur monetary or bodily injury because a broom is shoved a bit too far inside a tightwad...

Though watching the uncomfortable reaction to someone you aren't sure is joking or serious (think Andy Kaufman) is priceless.


You can call us tightwad... but I think that humor is low class, uneducated, and trashy.
Girl_power is offline  
post #115 of 166 (permalink) Old 12-06-2019, 02:24 PM
Member
 
2ntnuf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 17,837
Re: Belly Full, Empty Balls Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marduk View Post
Not children, 20-something men. This happened, at all places, at a five star resort in the back country. I have practiced martial arts most of my adult life. I do not have to hit someone to hurt them. Sometimes you don't have to do anything at all to be in the right place in the right time and just let the earth hit someone for you.

Now, I do not think you or anyone else here would be the kind of guy to sit there and make an adolescent girl cry by telling racist jokes to their face. My point in telling that story is to say that they assumed it was harmless because they assumed she was white. When they realized she wasn't, they wanted her to be stronger so that they could remain weaker - they were actually shifting their accountability onto a young girl, while claiming to be helping her not be fragile! This is intellectual fragility and a lack of personal accountability on their part.

If it had turned out badly for her, it would have taught her the same message. The outcome was meaningless, except to demonstrate what fragility really is. Their own lack of adaptiveness and aggression is what hurt them.

Society is changing. Adapt or die.
It's good that society is changing. It's never been okay to say things like that to children. Those twenty-somethings were overgrown adolescents without manners.

You are not the average man, if you have practiced and studied martial arts all your life. Saying you did not hit them is technically true, but not really the truth. You did lay your hands on them, as was necessary.

However, I disagree with adapt or die. Sounds too much like a threat of murder. In fact, it is.

I hope your daughter does not learn that it is okay to physically harm others in the name of justice. Defending yourself from physical harm or attack is quite different.

Like you, I doubt any here would say those things to a child.

Sorry, man. I like you, but this disturbed me more than you realize. It really bothered me, much more than being called cracker or honkey(past terminology I never understood the meaning of).

Thank you for the explanation. I really didn't understand.

"I'm significant!! Screamed the dust speck." - Bill Watterson
"Youth is wasted on the young". - George Bernard Shaw

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2ntnuf is offline  
post #116 of 166 (permalink) Old 12-06-2019, 02:25 PM
Moderator
 
farsidejunky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 11,653
Re: Belly Full, Empty Balls Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl_power View Post
You can call us tightwad... but I think that humor is low class, uneducated, and trashy.
This is a perfectly acceptable opinion.

I would never have any problem with you holding that opinion.

Where I draw the line is when people want to try and apply that opinion to policy.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

"Our ability to feel joy is directly related to how much pain we are willing to feel." - Mavash.

"The truth is, everyone is going to hurt you. You just got to find the ones worth suffering for." - Bob Marley
farsidejunky is online now  
post #117 of 166 (permalink) Old 12-06-2019, 02:26 PM
Member
 
ConanHub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Abroad. Mid to eastern U.S.
Posts: 12,383
Re: Belly Full, Empty Balls Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson View Post
Would it matter to you if you find out that your jokes hurt those people? What if you overheard them later on the phone saying "Conan is making gay jokes again. I laugh because I don't want to make a scene, but they make me really uncomfortable". Would you keep telling the jokes?

Often, people say they only do it if they know the other person isn't offended, but how do you really know that? I told gay jokes to my HS friends who were gay, yet I didn't realize they were gay. I can't imagine that they felt positive about that experience when they were having to keep their orientation secret.
No secrets between my family and friends.

It never ceases to amaze me that internet sjw's and other well meaning, if misguided, folks assume to know better than me about my own family and friends.

Did you consider how arrogant, high handed and overbearing it would be to make the assumption your post implied before posting it?

I'm not asking for help or advice in relation to my homosexual family or friends or my differing ethnic members and friends.

I would advise you to exercise your own best judgement in regards to your homosexual friends and family.

In my wild youth, I was entrenched with gay culture and can probably educate most who were not about what goes on.
ConanHub is online now  
post #118 of 166 (permalink) Old 12-06-2019, 02:28 PM
Member
 
2ntnuf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 17,837
Re: Belly Full, Empty Balls Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpsideDownWorld11 View Post
Can I not adapt and not die? Anyways, you have to know your audience or you will just look like a jerk like that guy. Half of the comics in the world would be homeless if they weren't funny. But if anyone is offended, they can simply choose not to buy a ticket. I guess I could offend bald guys with ED just as easily. People with hair and virility would laugh but the offended party may feel ashamed, or they could get a sense of humor and stop taking themselves so seriously.
You jerk. lmao

"I'm significant!! Screamed the dust speck." - Bill Watterson
"Youth is wasted on the young". - George Bernard Shaw

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2ntnuf is offline  
post #119 of 166 (permalink) Old 12-06-2019, 02:32 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 1,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ntnuf View Post

It's good that society is changing. It's never been okay to say things like that to children. Those twenty-somethings were overgrown adolescents without manners.

You are not the average man, if you have practiced and studied martial arts all your life. Saying you did not hit them is technically true, but not really the truth. You did lay your hands on them, as was necessary.

However, I disagree with adapt or die. Sounds too much like a threat of murder. In fact, it is.

I hope your daughter does not learn that it is okay to physically harm others in the name of justice. Defending yourself from physical harm or attack is quite different.

Like you, I doubt any here would say those things to a child.

Sorry, man. I like you, but this disturbed me more than you realize. It really bothered me, much more than being called cracker or honkey(past terminology I never understood the meaning of).

Thank you for the explanation. I really didn't understand.
I agree. Not sure about honkey (maybe it sounds funny). But I think cracker was slang term that slaves use to call slavemasters in the deep south ( you can figure out why). Either that or you have the complexion of a cracker?
UpsideDownWorld11 is online now  
post #120 of 166 (permalink) Old 12-06-2019, 02:33 PM
Member
 
Marduk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 18,037
Re: Belly Full, Empty Balls Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by farsidejunky View Post
You omitted choice number three.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Which is?
Marduk is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on Talk About Marriage, you must first register. Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Important! Your username will be visible to the public next to anything you post and could show up in search engines like Google. If you are concerned about anonymity, PLEASE choose a username that will not be recognizable to anyone you know.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome