The political elite and left leaning news media didn't get it.
Then BLOWOUT !!!!
But they still refuse to believe it. Hilarious.
The referendum was to leave the EU. But EU only and during the campaign the Leave campaign made clear they wanted to stay in the Single Market.
This is true. I can prove it to you if I must.
Leave won and there are three groups:
1- Those who still want to Remain
2- Those who want to leave the EU
3- Those that want to leave the EU, single market etc
Both groups 2 and 3 cite democray. Group 2 cite democracy as the vote has to be seen to be respected. Group 3 are liars or morons - if you are in group 3 and do not think it is lying, I have bad news for you.
Group three are lead by groups who fear anti-tax evasion legisation from the EU, so they have to get out. Leaving the EU can take three forms. To keep it simple, you can choose two from the following three:
- Leave the SM and customs union
- Preserve the Good Friday Agreement and so maintain peace and international relations
- Preserve Northern Ireland as intergral to the UK
You cannot choose three, as they contradict each other. This is not because some snooty elitist is running the scheme to thwart the people. You cannot have a square triange and you cannot choose three.
There is no majority for any option. Crucially, there is almost no-one (and certainly no the Brexit Party) who will take respnsibility for the consequences.
is right, the media do not really get it and they have been thick. It does not help that there has not been honest or self-aware discussion. It seems that the EU represents the modern world. Very few people who want to Leave can actually cite a specfic real reason, but that is really not the point. People are broadly split by:
- Has your home town been transformed by immigration since you were 25? (before that age, everything seems normal and natural)
- Are you skeptical of AGW? There are plenty of Leavers who believe in climate change, but almost all climate chance skeptics believe in Brexit. This is from not seeing things are an inter-related mess, but as having a natural state in themselves. A British racist, flat Earther will certainly be pro-Brexit.
- Has the modern world disrespected people like you? - The EU is seen as modern, for populists who believe that there is an outside corrupting force, it will be a target. In the past they would have blamed the Catholics.
People who can blame the modern world tend to be less qualified people, who have lost a position of social status. This includes toffs who fear their inherent right to be better than normal peopple and unqualified, unskilled working class men are both on this side. This group refer to themselves as "the people" and when they refer to the elite it tends to be people imore likely to be in full time employment (a trend rather than an absolure), those who get most from the modern world and the young.
The hard right are pretty good on this. The discussion I have had seem to suggest they see the bad sides and think it will be worth it.