Incels, Antifa, Socialists, etc. - Page 3 - Talk About Marriage
Politics This is the place to discuss politics

User Tag List

 149Likes
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #31 of 212 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 01:45 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
2ntnuf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 17,837
Re: Incels, Antifa, Socialists, etc.

Truth is a dirty word.




"I'm significant!! Screamed the dust speck." - Bill Watterson
"Youth is wasted on the young". - George Bernard Shaw

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2ntnuf is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 212 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 01:57 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 22,721
Re: Incels, Antifa, Socialists, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ntnuf View Post
Looks like something is wrong with the institutions that educate. All of these groups seem to come from universities. What is their plan? What is the goal? Anyone care to back up a guess or two what these universities are up to?


Most universities (administrative and faculty) spend their time on the mission of educating and trudging through the bureaucracy of maintaining accreditation. The only violence I have seen is the occasional paper cut or possibly the spread of viruses via recirculating AC systems, door handles and the like.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Ikaika is offline  
post #33 of 212 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 02:19 PM
Member
 
red oak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 1,486
Re: Incels, Antifa, Socialists, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ntnuf View Post
Truth is a dirty word.

https://youtu.be/qAJE-bcFlUQ
RLMFAO within first 2 minutes.

Great to hear the Latino man at 13’ minutes In can see what’s taking place.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The only difference between 'propaganda' and 'education,' really, is in the point of view. The advocacy of what we believe in is education. The advocacy of what we don't believe in is propaganda.-Edward Bernays
red oak is offline  
 
post #34 of 212 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
2ntnuf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 17,837
Re: Incels, Antifa, Socialists, etc.

The left seems so confused.


"I'm significant!! Screamed the dust speck." - Bill Watterson
"Youth is wasted on the young". - George Bernard Shaw

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2ntnuf is offline  
post #35 of 212 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 02:24 PM
Member
 
AandM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Devil went down to Georgia
Posts: 746
Re: Incels, Antifa, Socialists, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus View Post
I'm not speaking to any particular Antifa position, since I do not follow them closely. I'm only referring to their stated anti-fascist platform, in the generic sense, and my genuine belief that nationalism is on the rise in a manner not unlike that leading up to WWII. But you won't get any sky is falling rhetoric from me, and Antifa, like most politically active groups, engages in no small amount of hyperbole in promoting their arguments.
Too many people assume any nationalism is ethnic nationalism.

I've never seen hyperbole used to mean throwing balloons full of piss and bike locks upside the head.

Run as you may, you can not escape the wrath of the almighty bung hole, for I am the almighty bungholio!
AandM is offline  
post #36 of 212 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 02:29 PM
Member
 
Cletus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 6,206
Re: Incels, Antifa, Socialists, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AandM View Post
Too many people assume any nationalism is ethnic nationalism.

I've never seen hyperbole used to mean throwing balloons full of piss and bike locks upside the head.
Please don't make me defend that which I have already stated as wrong. It gives me gas.
Cletus is offline  
post #37 of 212 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 02:36 PM
Member
 
Marduk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 17,952
Re: Incels, Antifa, Socialists, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by farsidejunky View Post
Sort of like ignoring the reality that institutions of higher learning are at the forefront of suspension of fundamental rights, such as freedom of speech and due process?
A couple things on this. For one, you and I both have very different views on freedom of speech, and I very much respect your opinion on the matter even though I disagree. Having said that however, and given that universities and colleges typically have their own definitions of students rights... I'm not sure what that has to do with a general trust in education? I guess what I'm going after here is a sense whereby an education is a detriment instead of a good thing.

Quote:
Or ignoring the fact that these same institutions of higher learning are promoting policies from one side and not another?
I would say quite heavily the opposite, especially in business schools I've experienced both up here and down there at HBS and Duke. All of those, almost uniformly, have been very heavily conservative and very right leaning from this centrist's perspective. Especially Harvard! I'm viewed as quite conservative by my more left leaning friends, my wife included, but I was floored by how big business, old money, and conservative viewpoints are baked into business school culture.

Now, a liberal arts college, or liberal faculties are very different. At one time I had a double major in English Lit and Philosophy, for example... and yes very much those are hotbeds of ultra-liberal or even libertarian thinking. However, when I switched to math and science, I found the opposite. And Business even more so.

Quote:
Look...we all see what we want to see.

Nothing in what I quoted from you is necessarily wrong.

But it only addresses part of the equation...which is the part in which YOU wish to see change...just like 2ntnuf wants to see change from Antifa...just like I believe conservatism and libertarianism is spectacularly underrepresented in academia...and so on...and so on...
My experience is above, but libertarianism in it's original form is quite present in the arts community. It was originally a socialist movement associated with Marxism focused on social freedoms that had very little to do with conservatism. In fact, the original purpose of libertarianism was to abolish capitalism, so it's very funny that it's viewed as ultra-right-wing now. They (the liberal arts schools or faculties) basically do not believe in government intervention into anything from a personal perspective. However, they also don't believe (generally) in big business, or capitalism, either. My experience has been that there is a general disbelief that you somehow need to figure out how to feed yourself.

In the math/science/business arenas however, you get quite the opposite. Unrestrained capitalism is generally good (the financial aspect of libertarianism), but that social libertarianism is bad (because that approaches randomness, which is bad for markets and difficult for structured math and science thinking). But they are highly conservative, believe me.

Quote:
However, one should strive to be objective enough to see the entire picture, as opposed to the part of the picture that supports our own pre-conceived notions.

Ain't cognitive bias a mother ****er?

Partisanship. It will be the downfall of our nation.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Totally agree here. I'm still struggling to understand the anti-education and anti-science sentiment, however. It seems quite a backward view.

Last edited by Marduk; 01-15-2020 at 02:42 PM.
Marduk is offline  
post #38 of 212 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 02:43 PM
Member
 
Marduk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 17,952
Re: Incels, Antifa, Socialists, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ntnuf View Post
Truth is a dirty word.

https://youtu.be/qAJE-bcFlUQ
Like "alternative facts?"
Marduk is offline  
post #39 of 212 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 02:56 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 22,721
Re: Incels, Antifa, Socialists, etc.

The reality, there are and always were fringe groups that existed in our society on both sides of the main political ideologies. However, the majority of folks simply differ in how they view policies rather than along patriotic vs anti-American views. This true within universities as well as outside the halls of higher education.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Ikaika is offline  
post #40 of 212 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 04:27 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: .
Posts: 1,573
Re: Incels, Antifa, Socialists, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ntnuf View Post
Looks like something is wrong with the institutions that educate. All of these groups seem to come from universities.
I for one am greatly upset that groups coming from universities are engaged in education.

SpinyNorman is offline  
post #41 of 212 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 04:36 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,834
Re: Incels, Antifa, Socialists, etc.

Dang those Anitifa left thugs! https://www.npr.org/2020/01/15/79666...-pro-gun-rally

Oh, those are far right people causing a state to declare a state of emergency? My bad, go on telling me how awful the libs are.
Tasorundo is online now  
post #42 of 212 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 05:16 PM
Member
 
Marduk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 17,952
Re: Incels, Antifa, Socialists, etc.

Wait, didn't almost half a million American troops die in WWII being anti-fascist?
When did it become bad to be anti-fascist?

Let me guess. When Trump told you being anti-fascist was bad.
Marduk is offline  
post #43 of 212 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 06:10 PM
Member
 
Cletus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 6,206
Re: Incels, Antifa, Socialists, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marduk View Post
Wait, didn't almost half a million American troops die in WWII being anti-fascist?
When did it become bad to be anti-fascist?

Let me guess. When Trump told you being anti-fascist was bad.
It's never bad to be anti fascist.

It is bad to turn to violence or near-violence when your purported enemy is using his first amendment rights to association.

"America isn't easy. America is advanced citizenship. You've gotta want it bad, cause it's gonna put up a fight. It's gonna say 'You want free speech? Let's see you acknowledge a man whose words make your blood boil, and who's standing center stage and advocating at the top of his lungs that which you would spend a lifetime opposing at the top of yours."
Cletus is offline  
post #44 of 212 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 06:34 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 7,933
Re: Incels, Antifa, Socialists, etc.

I define extremists as people who believe that it is OK to use violence in support of their own political ideologies, despite those ideologies not representing the majority opinion. I don't really care if they are Nazis, Antifa, environmentalists, KKK, Islamist, anarchists, communists, or whatever. Usually it seems that the violence is really the goal, the "ideology" just an excuse.

I completely separate this from peaceful protest in favor of some currently unpopular ideology - where again I don't care if its Nazis, or gay rigths activists, I support their right to peaceful speech and protest.

Colleges do encourage people to investigate new ideas. One of the downsides of that is that sometimes people pick up very poisonous ideas. I think it is an unavoidable consequence of education, and an acceptable price to pay in return for reducing ignorance.
uhtred is offline  
post #45 of 212 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 06:41 PM
Moderator
 
farsidejunky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 11,652
Re: Incels, Antifa, Socialists, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus View Post
It's never bad to be anti fascist.



It is bad to turn to violence or near-violence when your purported enemy is using his first amendment rights to association.



"America isn't easy. America is advanced citizenship. You've gotta want it bad, cause it's gonna put up a fight. It's gonna say 'You want free speech? Let's see you acknowledge a man whose words make your blood boil, and who's standing center stage and advocating at the top of his lungs that which you would spend a lifetime opposing at the top of yours."
I must admit I love this line from The American President.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

"Our ability to feel joy is directly related to how much pain we are willing to feel." - Mavash.

"The truth is, everyone is going to hurt you. You just got to find the ones worth suffering for." - Bob Marley
farsidejunky is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on Talk About Marriage, you must first register. Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Important! Your username will be visible to the public next to anything you post and could show up in search engines like Google. If you are concerned about anonymity, PLEASE choose a username that will not be recognizable to anyone you know.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome