21 State AGs urge Senate to reject Impeachment - Talk About Marriage
Politics This is the place to discuss politics

User Tag List

 26Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-22-2020, 09:28 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 1,855
21 State AGs urge Senate to reject Impeachment

The attorneys general proceeded to pick apart the impeachment articles themselves. The abuse of power article, they claimed, "is based upon a constitutionally-flawed theory" that is "infinitely expansive and subjective" because it relies on the motivation the president had for "exercising concededly lawful constitutional authority" (emphasis in original) that Democrats deemed to be corrupt.

"It cannot be a legitimate basis to impeach a President for acting in a legal manner that may also be politically advantageous," they continued. "Such a standard would be cause for the impeachment of virtually every President, past, present, and future."

The attorneys general claimed that the second article of impeachment, obstruction of Congress, is "equally flawed," arguing that the House's theory means that a president can be impeached for invoking executive privilege. Doing so would render the privilege "meaningless," they said, because it would place the privilege "under unilateral control of the House."

Rather than impeach Trump for using privilege to block witnesses from testifying before the House's impeachment inquiry, they should have gone to court to challenge the president and enforce subpoenas, they said.

The precedent set by this impeachment, they warned, "will erode the separation of powers shared by the executive and legislative branches by subjugating future Presidents to the whims of the majority opposition party in the House of Representatives."

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/ags...ical-precedent

UpsideDownWorld11 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-22-2020, 09:49 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 402
Re: 21 State AGs urge Senate to reject Impeachment

So 21 pro-trump AGs say nice things about trump in the fox bubble? And parrot his current defense talking points? Ok.

From last month, Forbes
https://www.forbes.com/sites/michael.../#527e19937d92

There are as many legal opinions as there are lawyers. More probably.
DownButNotOut is offline  
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-22-2020, 11:51 AM
Member
 
arbitrator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Central Texas/Brazos Valley
Posts: 16,179
Cool Re: 21 State AGs urge Senate to reject Impeachment

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownButNotOut View Post
So 21 pro-trump AGs say nice things about trump in the fox bubble? And parrot his current defense talking points? Ok.

From last month, Forbes
https://www.forbes.com/sites/michael.../#527e19937d92

There are as many legal opinions as there are lawyers. More probably.
So exactly where were they during the Bill Clinton Impeachment mess in 1999?

Sounds as if they're swilling way too much of Alan Dershowitz' hypocritical bath water!

"To love another person is to see the face of God!" - Jean Valjean from Les Miserables

My Story!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
arbitrator is offline  
 
post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-22-2020, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 1,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by DownButNotOut View Post
So 21 pro-trump AGs say nice things about trump in the fox bubble? And parrot his current defense talking points? Ok.

From last month, Forbes
https://www.forbes.com/sites/michael.../#527e19937d92

There are as many legal opinions as there are lawyers. More probably.
I'm sure there are, but they make a fair point that any President past, present and future could get impeached over the charges the House came up with (as long as the House opposition is the opposing party of the President). What President of the past few decades hasn't been charged by the opposing party of abuse of power or what president doesn't use executive privilege to an extent the opposing party finds disagreeable.

If it was reversed and Trump was a Democrat the House Dems would have looked the other way. Everyone knows it.
UpsideDownWorld11 is offline  
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-22-2020, 07:12 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 402
Re: 21 State AGs urge Senate to reject Impeachment

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpsideDownWorld11 View Post
I'm sure there are, but they make a fair point that any President past, present and future could get impeached over the charges the House came up with (as long as the House opposition is the opposing party of the President). What President of the past few decades hasn't been charged by the opposing party of abuse of power or what president doesn't use executive privilege to an extent the opposing party finds disagreeable.

If it was reversed and Trump was a Democrat the House Dems would have looked the other way. Everyone knows it.
Of course it is a fair point, in the abstract. The House has the sole power of impeachment. A majority of Representatives is required to impeach. That is how it has always been since Sept 17, 1787. The House may impeach the President for any reason that a majority is willing to vote for. And yet, we have only been here 3 times now since the nation's founding.

This is classic "argue the reasonable abstract" tactic instead of examining the specific case. The 500 legal scholars in the Forbes article fall on the side of impeachment is reasonable in this specific case.
DownButNotOut is offline  
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-22-2020, 07:15 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 7,931
Re: 21 State AGs urge Senate to reject Impeachment

Very few people have an opinion of the impeachment that disagrees with their party affiliation. That is bad.
uhtred is offline  
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-22-2020, 09:19 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 1,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by DownButNotOut View Post

Of course it is a fair point, in the abstract. The House has the sole power of impeachment. A majority of Representatives is required to impeach. That is how it has always been since Sept 17, 1787. The House may impeach the President for any reason that a majority is willing to vote for. And yet, we have only been here 3 times now since the nation's founding.

This is classic "argue the reasonable abstract" tactic instead of examining the specific case. The 500 legal scholars in the Forbes article fall on the side of impeachment is reasonable in this specific case.
2 of the last 4 Presidents have been impeached and it gets more hyper-partisan each year. It's a valid worry.
UpsideDownWorld11 is offline  
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-22-2020, 09:46 PM
Member
 
Max.HeadRoom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: New York State USA
Posts: 273
Re: 21 State AGs urge Senate to reject Impeachment

my fav new of the week

Are you f*****g kidding me?’: Monica Lewinsky responds to Trump putting Ken Starr on impeachment team

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/ar...eam-2020-01-17
Max.HeadRoom is offline  
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 11:11 AM
Member
 
VladDracul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Southeast USA
Posts: 3,746
Re: 21 State AGs urge Senate to reject Impeachment

I'm hearing that just after Monica did the deed, she responded to Bill, as he zipped his pants"Are you kidding f*****g me?"

"The facts have never mattered less than they do today. We're living in a time where the truth has been so diminished in value, even those at the top of government (and the media) are quite comfortable with the truth being whatever they can convince people to believe",
Raymond Reddington.
VladDracul is offline  
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 12:15 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 6,798
Re: 21 State AGs urge Senate to reject Impeachment

I never understood where Starr had the authority to sequester Lewinsky the way he did.

NextTimeAround is offline  
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 12:19 PM
Member
 
Marduk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 17,952
Re: 21 State AGs urge Senate to reject Impeachment

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladDracul View Post
I'm hearing that just after Monica did the deed, she responded to Bill, as he zipped his pants"Are you kidding f*****g me?"
She also offered to take one for the team and give Trump a BJ if it will get him impeached, because to the GOP apparently lying about a BJ is worse than bribing a foreign government with taxpayer money to influence elections.
Marduk is offline  
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 02:47 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: North East US
Posts: 616
Re: 21 State AGs urge Senate to reject Impeachment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marduk View Post
She also offered to take one for the team and give Trump a BJ if it will get him impeached, because to the GOP apparently lying about a BJ is worse than bribing a foreign government with taxpayer money to influence elections.
It is so telling that you can't distinguish between an actual crime (perjury) and a request for an investigation. Because all Bill had to do was not lie about what everyone knew was true and save that stain on her dress, oops I meant his record.

Just wait till the rest of what the Bidens were up and how concerened the Obama administration was comes out. Billions of dollars missing!
Always Learning is offline  
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 04:09 PM
Member
 
arbitrator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Central Texas/Brazos Valley
Posts: 16,179
Cool Re: 21 State AGs urge Senate to reject Impeachment

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpsideDownWorld11 View Post
The attorneys general proceeded to pick apart the impeachment articles themselves. The abuse of power article, they claimed, "is based upon a constitutionally-flawed theory" that is "infinitely expansive and subjective" because it relies on the motivation the president had for "exercising concededly lawful constitutional authority" (emphasis in original) that Democrats deemed to be corrupt.

"It cannot be a legitimate basis to impeach a President for acting in a legal manner that may also be politically advantageous," they continued. "Such a standard would be cause for the impeachment of virtually every President, past, present, and future."

The attorneys general claimed that the second article of impeachment, obstruction of Congress, is "equally flawed," arguing that the House's theory means that a president can be impeached for invoking executive privilege. Doing so would render the privilege "meaningless," they said, because it would place the privilege "under unilateral control of the House."

Rather than impeach Trump for using privilege to block witnesses from testifying before the House's impeachment inquiry, they should have gone to court to challenge the president and enforce subpoenas, they said.

The precedent set by this impeachment, they warned, "will erode the separation of powers shared by the executive and legislative branches by subjugating future Presidents to the whims of the majority opposition party in the House of Representatives."

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/ags...ical-precedent
Bi-Partisan? Please list the Democratic AG's who signed this letter. Then list the GOP AG's.

50 States ~ Only 21 AG's ~ You're still 39 AG's short of a full accounting! So why should the Senate give this partisan Fox News hogwash any serious credibility?

"To love another person is to see the face of God!" - Jean Valjean from Les Miserables

My Story!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
arbitrator is offline  
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 1,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbitrator View Post

Bi-Partisan? Please list the Democratic AG's who signed this letter. Then list the GOP AG's.

50 States ~ Only 21 AG's ~ You're still 39 AG's short of a full accounting! So why should the Senate give this partisan Fox News hogwash any serious credibility?
Do you even math, bro? But seriously, this whole parade is based on partisan bashing right before the 2020 election. Not exactly the high crimes the founders intended. But I guess it something we the people can expect every 4 to 8 years, until it just becomes white noise (actually it already is white noise).
UpsideDownWorld11 is offline  
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 04:35 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Southeast
Posts: 4,191
Re: 21 State AGs urge Senate to reject Impeachment

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbitrator View Post
So exactly where were they during the Bill Clinton Impeachment mess in 1999?

Sounds as if they're swilling way too much of Alan Dershowitz' hypocritical bath water!
What would anyone be able to say about Clinton impeachment that could've helped?

Perhaps "no, you didn't really have sex with that woman" ??

Pshaw
Ragnar Ragnasson is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on Talk About Marriage, you must first register. Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Important! Your username will be visible to the public next to anything you post and could show up in search engines like Google. If you are concerned about anonymity, PLEASE choose a username that will not be recognizable to anyone you know.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome