Flat Earthers - Page 6 - Talk About Marriage
The Social Spot Talk About Whatever.

User Tag List

 72Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #76 of 202 (permalink) Old 11-22-2019, 02:44 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 22,702
Re: Flat Earthers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faithful Wife View Post
But you guys, @OnTheFly is right here telling us he is not trolling. I think that something happens and they kind of "click" into their belief system a whole lot of different and new information. I can't explain it for him or any of the FE'ers but I do understand they believe what they are saying and not trolling. Again, the docu was very informative about the people behind the FE movement. They were not kooks - - they just believe something different.



Again, many christians believe lots of things that are scientifically proven to be impossible. Like being born of a virgin, rising from the dead, and turning water into wine. Most people who do not believe these things are very careful not to slam the religious beliefs of christians so they tend to be soft when discussing those beliefs. IOW, scientists don't ram it down a christian's throat how "wrong" they are to believe anyone can turn water into wine or rise from the dead. And christians believe what they do without trying to convince scientists to change their minds also. (I'm talking about in polite conversation, such as what we are having now).



The FE'ers seem like christians in this sense, to me. They believe something that may be completely obviously incorrect, but they somehow do believe that yes, our senses can deceive us and even our math can. The same way a christian can believe that one man in all of human history was born under miraculous conditions and did a lot of miracles and will literally come back to earth one day in the future.


As I have already stated:


"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ikaika is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #77 of 202 (permalink) Old 11-22-2019, 02:46 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Texas !!!!!!!!!!
Posts: 1,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faithful Wife View Post
They were not kooks - - they just believe something different

The FE'ers seem like christians in this sense, to me. They believe something that may be completely obviously incorrect .
They just believe....cough....THE EARTH IS FLAT !!!!!!!!!! Of course they can’t be kooks!


On to the second quoted part in which you gave me a spectacular idea !!! All we need is @Diana7 to explain to us why the Earth is flat.
Mr.Married is offline  
post #78 of 202 (permalink) Old 11-22-2019, 03:19 PM
Member
 
Faithful Wife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 16,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Married View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faithful Wife View Post
They were not kooks - - they just believe something different

The FE'ers seem like christians in this sense, to me. They believe something that may be completely obviously incorrect .
They just believe....cough....THE EARTH IS FLAT !!!!!!!!!! Of course they can’t be kooks!


On to the second quoted part in which you gave me a spectacular idea !!! All we need is @Diana7 to explain to us why the Earth is flat.
I don’t know how to express what I’m trying to say.

We do not typically call Christians “kooks” even though they believe in physical events that could not have happened. That’s all I’m trying to point out. My own opinion is that I can respect Christians even though they believe things that are not facts, and I can respect FE’ers on the same basis. Doesn’t mean I agree with either but I just respect that they have their own reasons for believing as they do.
Faithful Wife is offline  
 
post #79 of 202 (permalink) Old 11-22-2019, 03:29 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 1,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faithful Wife View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Married View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faithful Wife View Post
They were not kooks - - they just believe something different

The FE'ers seem like christians in this sense, to me. They believe something that may be completely obviously incorrect .
They just believe....cough....THE EARTH IS FLAT !!!!!!!!!! Of course they can’t be kooks!


On to the second quoted part in which you gave me a spectacular idea !!! All we need is @Diana7 to explain to us why the Earth is flat.
I don’t know how to express what I’m trying to say.

We do not typically call Christians “kooks” even though they believe in physical events that could not have happened. That’s all I’m trying to point out. My own opinion is that I can respect Christians even though they believe things that are not facts, and I can respect FE’ers on the same basis. Doesn’t mean I agree with either but I just respect that they have their own reasons for believing as they do.
What things could not have happened? And If you had all the facts, you wouldn't need belief or faith. You'd simply know. Unless you are the one person who has discovered how the earth, solar system, universe came into existence...
UpsideDownWorld11 is offline  
post #80 of 202 (permalink) Old 11-22-2019, 03:30 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 1,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Married View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faithful Wife View Post
They were not kooks - - they just believe something different

The FE'ers seem like christians in this sense, to me. They believe something that may be completely obviously incorrect .
They just believe....cough....THE EARTH IS FLAT !!!!!!!!!! Of course they can’t be kooks!


On to the second quoted part in which you gave me a spectacular idea !!! All we need is @Diana7 to explain to us why the Earth is flat.
Where in the Bible does it say the Earth is flat?
UpsideDownWorld11 is offline  
post #81 of 202 (permalink) Old 11-22-2019, 04:06 PM
Member
 
Faithful Wife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 16,250
Re: Flat Earthers

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpsideDownWorld11 View Post
Where in the Bible does it say the Earth is flat?
Maybe you didn't mean this question for me, but I was not saying the bible says the earth is flat. I was comparing things Christians believe which are not factual to things FE'ers believe which are not factual.
Faithful Wife is offline  
post #82 of 202 (permalink) Old 11-22-2019, 04:10 PM
Member
 
Faithful Wife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 16,250
Re: Flat Earthers

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpsideDownWorld11 View Post
What things could not have happened?
Virgin birth.

Rising from the dead.

Turning water into wine.

However, I'm saying from a scientific perspective these things could not have happened, though of course we cannot prove something did or did not happen thousands of years ago. Personally I do believe in miracles and do not claim to know if these miracles actually happened or not but since I do believe miracles are possible, these events are possible as well. Believing they were possible still doesn't mean I do believe they happened. Honestly, I don't really care if they happened or not and have no reason to feel there's any problem with people who do believe them. That's why I do not consider Christians to be kooks, nor do I believe all FE'ers are kooks. They just believe something different than I do.
Faithful Wife is offline  
post #83 of 202 (permalink) Old 11-22-2019, 04:21 PM
Member
 
As'laDain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 3,832
Re: Flat Earthers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faithful Wife View Post
Virgin birth.

Rising from the dead.

Turning water into wine.

However, I'm saying from a scientific perspective these things could not have happened, though of course we cannot prove something did or did not happen thousands of years ago. Personally I do believe in miracles and do not claim to know if these miracles actually happened or not but since I do believe miracles are possible, these events are possible as well. Believing they were possible still doesn't mean I do believe they happened. Honestly, I don't really care if they happened or not and have no reason to feel there's any problem with people who do believe them. That's why I do not consider Christians to be kooks, nor do I believe all FE'ers are kooks. They just believe something different than I do.
i wouldnt be so skeptical on any of those points being possible...

i was declared dead twice, you can turn water into wine with a little kool aid powder and spirits, and as for virgin birth... well, chimeras exist, so who knows?

"I am the wiser in respect to all knowledges, and the better qualified for all fortunes, for knowing that there is a minnow in the brook." -Henry David Thoreau
As'laDain is online now  
post #84 of 202 (permalink) Old 11-22-2019, 04:24 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 1,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faithful Wife View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpsideDownWorld11 View Post
What things could not have happened?
Virgin birth.

Rising from the dead.

Turning water into wine.

However, I'm saying from a scientific perspective these things could not have happened, though of course we cannot prove something did or did not happen thousands of years ago. Personally I do believe in miracles and do not claim to know if these miracles actually happened or not but since I do believe miracles are possible, these events are possible as well. Believing they were possible still doesn't mean I do believe they happened. Honestly, I don't really care if they happened or not and have no reason to feel there's any problem with people who do believe them. That's why I do not consider Christians to be kooks, nor do I believe all FE'ers are kooks. They just believe something different than I do.
I believe FE'ers are kooks. But if there was a Creator, wouldn't it make sense he could make anything happen. Not even talking about miracles just defying the laws of physics as known to man since he designed it all.
UpsideDownWorld11 is offline  
post #85 of 202 (permalink) Old 11-22-2019, 04:36 PM
Member
 
Faithful Wife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 16,250
Re: Flat Earthers

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpsideDownWorld11 View Post
I believe FE'ers are kooks. But if there was a Creator, wouldn't it make sense he could make anything happen. Not even talking about miracles just defying the laws of physics as known to man since he designed it all.
IMO, people believe a whole lot of things that seem strange to me. Superstitions and aliens living among us and lots of other examples. A lot of people have personal superstitions which they believe only apply to themselves. Like if I wear this certain pair of socks I will have a good ball game but if I don't wear them we are going to lose. Or if I don't do a certain ritual or say a certain prayer at a certain time every day something bad will happen to me (which they may believe is a dictate from their creator or they may have just somehow developed the superstition from personal experience).

None of it matters to me! We all get to believe whatever we want. I definitely believe things that I know would be completely unreasonable to many or most people. So I don't bother to judge what others believe. It is just a personal belief after all.

Faithful Wife is offline  
post #86 of 202 (permalink) Old 11-22-2019, 04:42 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 22,702
Re: Flat Earthers

Quote:
Originally Posted by As'laDain View Post
i wouldnt be so skeptical on any of those points being possible...



i was declared dead twice, you can turn water into wine with a little kool aid powder and spirits, and as for virgin birth... well, chimeras exist, so who knows?


You are not declared dead until you are dead. Your heart may have stopped or you may have had a temporary cessation in your breathing, that does not declare one dead. However, stop breathing long enough or if your heart stops long enough and you are not here to make these proclamations.


dispermic chimeras, two eggs that have been fertilized by two sperm fuse together, producing a so-called tetragametic individual—an individual originating from four gametes, or sex cells.

Or more commonly in humans - an embryo absorbing genetic material from a non-viable fraternal twin. This is not evidence of divine copulation.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Ikaika is offline  
post #87 of 202 (permalink) Old 11-22-2019, 04:45 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 22,702
Re: Flat Earthers

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpsideDownWorld11 View Post
I believe FE'ers are kooks. But if there was a Creator, wouldn't it make sense he could make anything happen. Not even talking about miracles just defying the laws of physics as known to man since he designed it all.


He/she should have taken more time designing a better vertebra and/or knee joint rather than be obsessed with designing nearly 350,000 species of beetles.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Ikaika is offline  
post #88 of 202 (permalink) Old 11-22-2019, 04:45 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 1,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faithful Wife View Post
But a large component of FE'ers are religious and so are finding ways to believe biblical "facts" and I assume they feel the non religious scientists are the ones covering up the FE "facts". So things like heaven and earth being made in 7 days and so on, are being used by some FE'ers to help build in their "facts".
There is no scriptual basis for a flat earth. Even Christian writers and theologists writing shortly after Christ believed the Earth a sphere. Some Catholics pushed the FE doctrine for a bit, but it was never a universal theory accepted by the Church since it had no scriptual basis. None. So, if Christians are catching on to this theory then its pure coincidence.

As for the Earth being created in 7 days. This is a misconception. The Hebrew word translated to day in English, can actually mean any period of time. A more correct translation is that God created everything in 7 epochs.
UpsideDownWorld11 is offline  
post #89 of 202 (permalink) Old 11-22-2019, 04:53 PM
Member
 
As'laDain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 3,832
Re: Flat Earthers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikaika View Post
You are not declared dead until you are dead. Your heart may have stopped or you may have had a temporary cessation in your breathing, that does not declare one dead. However, stop breathing long enough or if your heart stops long enough and you are not here to make these proclamations.


dispermic chimeras, two eggs that have been fertilized by two sperm fuse together, producing a so-called tetragametic individual—an individual originating from four gametes, or sex cells.

Or more commonly in humans - an embryo absorbing genetic material from a non-viable fraternal twin. This is not evidence of divine copulation.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
ok, so no doctor declared me dead. i guess i just imagined it all.

"I am the wiser in respect to all knowledges, and the better qualified for all fortunes, for knowing that there is a minnow in the brook." -Henry David Thoreau
As'laDain is online now  
post #90 of 202 (permalink) Old 11-22-2019, 04:57 PM
Member
 
Faithful Wife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 16,250
Re: Flat Earthers

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpsideDownWorld11 View Post
There is no scriptual basis for a flat earth.
Again, I'm not saying there is. All I said is that a lot of FE'ers are also very religious, and believe a whole lot of other things that are just as strange if not stranger than a flat earth.
Faithful Wife is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on Talk About Marriage, you must first register. Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Important! Your username will be visible to the public next to anything you post and could show up in search engines like Google. If you are concerned about anonymity, PLEASE choose a username that will not be recognizable to anyone you know.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome