Sister Kept in Cage - Talk About Marriage
The Social Spot Talk About Whatever.

User Tag List

 27Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 06:10 AM Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 17,837
Sister Kept in Cage

How can anyone think this is okay? What would drive a person to give this kind of 'care' to a family member? Is there an issue with receiving social security or SSI? What's going on here? Anyone have a guess?


https://www.wtae.com/article/pennsyl...unty/30537374#

2ntnuf is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 08:01 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 6,054
Re: Sister Kept in Cage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ntnuf View Post
How can anyone think this is okay? What would drive a person to give this kind of 'care' to a family member? Is there an issue with receiving social security or SSI? What's going on here? Anyone have a guess?


https://www.wtae.com/article/pennsyl...unty/30537374#
No idea, it’s been happening for decades mainly due to money, but there are a variety of reasons.
phillybeffandswiss is offline  
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 11:08 AM
Member
 
red oak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 1,465
Re: Sister Kept in Cage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ntnuf View Post
How can anyone think this is okay? What would drive a person to give this kind of 'care' to a family member? Is there an issue with receiving social security or SSI? What's going on here? Anyone have a guess?


https://www.wtae.com/article/pennsyl...unty/30537374#
I question why the AG is speaking on it instead of the district attorney. Appears they are politicizing the case.

Although he didn't want to address it, the womans son seemed to be telling the truth that it wasn't a cage.

Remember duke lacrosse fiasco.
Can't always believe what we are told.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The only difference between 'propaganda' and 'education,' really, is in the point of view. The advocacy of what we believe in is education. The advocacy of what we don't believe in is propaganda.-Edward Bernays
red oak is online now  
 
post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 01:12 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 6,796
Re: Sister Kept in Cage

Well, maybe if there were universal healthcare, this family could have afforded to keep the relative in a better environment.

So what is the AG going to do? Put them all in jail ....... taxpayers' expense?
NextTimeAround is online now  
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 01:57 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 6,796
Re: Sister Kept in Cage

Quote:
Originally Posted by red oak View Post
I question why the AG is speaking on it instead of the district attorney. Appears they are politicizing the case.

Although he didn't want to address it, the womans son seemed to be telling the truth that it wasn't a cage.

Remember duke lacrosse fiasco.
Can't always believe what we are told
.
I read that's what made Stephen Miller famous ..... to Fox News anyway. HE kept the network up to date.
NextTimeAround is online now  
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 02:08 PM
Member
 
Ursula's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 1,662
Re: Sister Kept in Cage

I have no idea why some people treat others like that; I can't wrap my mind around it though. I do know that some people are very mentally disturbed, and don't think in a "normal" sense of the way. Such a sad situation with this story.
Ursula is offline  
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 02:41 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 6,796
Re: Sister Kept in Cage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ursula View Post
I have no idea why some people treat others like that; I can't wrap my mind around it though. I do know that some people are very mentally disturbed, and don't think in a "normal" sense of the way. Such a sad situation with this story.
I would not judge this family on the basis that they had adequate resources --money and otherwise -- to find a solution that you and I would agree with.

I think that is a failing in the American system. The 2017 tax law soaked the poor. Republicans have hacked away at Obamacare. What is PA's with medicaid. Because medicaid payments could be used to care the sister in some approved way. And now Trump has mandated a shrinkage of food in SNAP, the modern day food stamp program. There is no safety net in the US.
NextTimeAround is online now  
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 04:03 PM Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 17,837
Re: Sister Kept in Cage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NextTimeAround View Post
Well, maybe if there were universal healthcare, this family could have afforded to keep the relative in a better environment.

So what is the AG going to do? Put them all in jail ....... taxpayers' expense?
Quote:
Originally Posted by NextTimeAround View Post
I would not judge this family on the basis that they had adequate resources --money and otherwise -- to find a solution that you and I would agree with.

I think that is a failing in the American system. The 2017 tax law soaked the poor. Republicans have hacked away at Obamacare. What is PA's with medicaid. Because medicaid payments could be used to care the sister in some approved way. And now Trump has mandated a shrinkage of food in SNAP, the modern day food stamp program. There is no safety net in the US.
You can't say any of that with a serious face, unless you know what is available to them, what they were taking advantage of and how it was being spent or used. This idea of pulling on the heartstrings of everyone to get them to agree with communism is foolish.

Believe me, there will be a black market once you folks(communists) get your way.
2ntnuf is offline  
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 05:20 PM
Member
 
Ursula's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 1,662
Re: Sister Kept in Cage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NextTimeAround View Post
I would not judge this family on the basis that they had adequate resources --money and otherwise -- to find a solution that you and I would agree with.

I think that is a failing in the American system. The 2017 tax law soaked the poor. Republicans have hacked away at Obamacare. What is PA's with medicaid. Because medicaid payments could be used to care the sister in some approved way. And now Trump has mandated a shrinkage of food in SNAP, the modern day food stamp program. There is no safety net in the US.
I absolutely agree, and it's the same way here in Canada; prices go up, up, up, less and less seems to be being covered under our work benefits, which means more out of pocket. Our nurses are also being cut in large numbers as well, at least in Alberta. And life is expensive. But, there are also some people who are just unbalanced/disturbed, and cannot for the life of them either see another way, or see that what they're doing is wrong. It could go either way, and I make no judgements; it's just the way that it is.
Ursula is offline  
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 05:26 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 6,796
Re: Sister Kept in Cage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ntnuf View Post
You can't say any of that with a serious face, unless you know what is available to them, what they were taking advantage of and how it was being spent or used. This idea of pulling on the heartstrings of everyone to get them to agree with communism is foolish.

Believe me, there will be a black market once you folks(communists) get your way.
I am not a communist.

NextTimeAround is online now  
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 05:28 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 52
This is a terrible story. However, I am amused that it is being politicized. Let's call this what it is, a case of someone terribly mis treating someone else.
hilariouslaughter is offline  
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 05:49 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 6,796
Re: Sister Kept in Cage

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilariouslaughter View Post
This is a terrible story. However, I am amused that it is being politicized. Let's call this what it is, a case of someone terribly mis treating someone else.
What kind of environment would have minimized the occurrence of this sort of incidence?
NextTimeAround is online now  
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 06:17 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by NextTimeAround View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilariouslaughter View Post
This is a terrible story. However, I am amused that it is being politicized. Let's call this what it is, a case of someone terribly mis treating someone else.
What kind of environment would have minimized the occurrence of this sort of incidence?
A less cruel and mentally unstable caretaker. Nice try though, I give you props for that
hilariouslaughter is offline  
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 06:18 PM
Administrator
 
EleGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 41,772
Re: Sister Kept in Cage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NextTimeAround View Post
Well, maybe if there were universal healthcare, this family could have afforded to keep the relative in a better environment.

So what is the AG going to do? Put them all in jail ....... taxpayers' expense?
From what I have heard on the news, the sister had meningitis as a young age, cannot talk, drinks out of a baby bottle still at age 51. She's clearly very disabled. Therefore, in the USA she is eligible for Medicaid, which in her situation is basically free medical care.

Surviving An Affair -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To Create A Passionate Marriage -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
EleGirl is offline  
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 06:21 PM
Administrator
 
EleGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 41,772
Re: Sister Kept in Cage

Quote:
Originally Posted by red oak View Post
I question why the AG is speaking on it instead of the district attorney. Appears they are politicizing the case.

Although he didn't want to address it, the womans son seemed to be telling the truth that it wasn't a cage.
The son said that it was not a cage but an incomplete room.. like the wood framing was up but no wall board has been installed.

Did you find another article that goes into this some more.

My bet is that there is more to the story and it's not exactly as is being reported at this time.

Surviving An Affair -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To Create A Passionate Marriage -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
EleGirl is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on Talk About Marriage, you must first register. Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Important! Your username will be visible to the public next to anything you post and could show up in search engines like Google. If you are concerned about anonymity, PLEASE choose a username that will not be recognizable to anyone you know.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome